Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Re: Charity adverts and celebs

What annoys me is when the charities specify an amount you should send, such as the S.A. wanting a donation of £19. I dont want anyone telling me how much to give. I agree with others, I also do not want celebs constantly badgering for donations. If I want to give to a charity I will do so, I dont need their prompting.

Local charities and the Foodbank are my preferred options.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am so sick of celebrities coming on pleading for money for Christmas charities .
I dont need Joanna Lumney or whoever to tell me to give money .
We can't save the world even though Bob Geldoff has had a good try
And after all that Africa is still in a mess .
I am sorry for all the little children in war zones but we can't help them all.
I have no problem with giving and give what I can afford to various charities .
I am just fed up with being made to feel responsible for all the worlds ills .
No wonder people end it all it's incredibly depressing .
I'm glad you've brought this to our attention Muddy.
It's disgraceful how they use emotional blackmail and upsetting footage to make us feel guilty about the way we live. When we see children sleeping rough on the streets in some faraway country, what are that countries authorities doing about the situation?
Why are poor people breeding children when they can't support them or at least home and feed them? The problem does not require money throwing at it, but the root of the problem needs addressing. Contraception or sterilization could be the answer.

Like most others on the forum, I find it very upsetting and have started muting the sound when these appeals appear. Once upon a time just a 'one off' donation would have sufficed, but now you can link it to your bank account and have regular payments deducted from your account..... My divorced daughter couldn't even get money off her ex to support their two kids, but how easy is it to send a tenner to somebody else's daughter in India when both parents have turned their backs on their kids....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:24 PM

I often wonder if the ''celebs'' get paid for doing the adverts. My guess is that they do. Who remembers the Terry Wogan/ Children in need debacle? I have also heard that celebrities appearing on game shows get paid for their appearances despite 'playing for charity' and generally lowering the intelligence of the programme. Celebs are pretty thick.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:28 PM

A lot of the big charities are, imho, scams that are raking significant amounts of the raised cash away in admin, expenses and lucrative executive salaries. And I mean the really big well known ones.

In fact many of them were fined recently a lot of money because of their underhand tactics in pursuing celebrities who they know have a lo of money. They were abusing the data they had.

Celebrities who advertise for these charities are imho just establishment stooges who have sold their souls for profit. I find it shameless.

It is remarkable at the moment how many high profile celebs are resorting to advertising.

Look at Elton John! Why the hell is he involved in advertising Snickers Bars?!!

And equally Rowan Atkinson before him. They clearly don't need the money so why are they helping a chocolate bar manufacturer make more money ? . . . . . hmmmm

Then you have well known and loved celebs advertising online gambling, a scourge on society which is currently affecting 50% of our young generation. You have Bab's Windsor and Paddy McGuiness advertising Bingo, you have Chaser Anne Heggarty advertising Bingo and god knows how many celebs promoting online Poker, a truly rigged business that will see people lose money hand over fist.

You have superstars like Beyoncé and One Direction advertising Pepsi, fizzy pop, which along with other fizzy drinks are one of the prime causes of today's obesity epidemic.

Will.I.Am and the rest of the Black Eyed Peas signed an international partnership with Pepsi too and Will.i.am also signed with Doritos, Coca-Cola and Dr Pepper.

You have Katy Perry promoting Popchip crisps and so it goes on.

Sugary drinks, fatty foods and junk food outlets are massively promoted by the role models of or younger generation.

Its pretty sick TBH.

With advertising comes responsibility. It is NOT simply a job to make money, these celebs have to be accountable for the products they endorse and advertise and sadly most of them are simply whores to the huge global corporates who are really running our sick world.

We should NOT be giving these people our support.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Well said Realist
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Well said Realist
Couldn't agree more. It's shameful.
And that's not grumpy, it's angry!!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I often wonder if the ''celebs'' get paid for doing the adverts. My guess is that they do. Who remembers the Terry Wogan/ Children in need debacle? I have also heard that celebrities appearing on game shows get paid for their appearances despite 'playing for charity' and generally lowering the intelligence of the programme. Celebs are pretty thick.

Longy, l thought the same thing and wondered how much the celebrity gets paid.
The charities usually, use high profile celebrities that can command big payouts.
Then, there is the price of making the lavish advert and all the costs and expenses associated with it. Then they have to pay the television companies to air the advert every time it’s shown.
I bet there’s only about 5p left, for people they are collecting for!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 03:16 PM

I also wonder how deep these `celebs` dig into their own pockets? They're a bloody sight richer than I am.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Longy, l thought the same thing and wondered how much the celebrity gets paid.
The charities usually, use high profile celebrities that can command big payouts.
Then, there is the price of making the lavish advert and all the costs and expenses associated with it. Then they have to pay the television companies to air the advert every time it’s shown.
I bet there’s only about 5p left, for people they are collecting for!
As I have said before Art, I have worked alongside a very well known charity (not directly for them) and the amount of money I saw wasted was shameful, so it would not surprise me to see lots of money wasted on so called celebs.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It p!sses me off too, Longdogs.
These highly paid celebrities who, if they don't get paid, are gaining much publicity (and look how many appear on those TV shows too when they have an album or a film just out!).
If they put their hand in their back pocket most of them could pay for medical expenses and ammenities in any of the world's disaster spots. But no, they have to go the general public for it.

Look at U2's Bono with all his preaching and posturing. Let's help Africa he says whilst he makes sure his assets are frozen in some bank in Panama. Phoney git.

I always remember at Live Aid in 1985 when some of the American stars in particular wanted top accommodation backstage and lavish banquets in exchange for their appearance fees. Diana Ross was one high profile diva that day who simply couldn't grasp the whole reason she was there for.

And yes, game shows. Things like Pointless and The Chase where they have 'celebrity' episodes of the programme doing it 'for their favourite charity'. It's always has beens like Matthew Kelly and Lorraine Chase who need a few grand to appear in order to donate their significantly paltry winnings to their chosen cause. Thing is, they don't pay a thing, the BBC does. They just do the show and get taxi'd back to their third floor apartment in St. John's Wood to talk to their agent about the next celebrity charity game show they can make some dosh out of.

But remember, pensioners...Join Saga today and get a free Parker pen from Michael Parkinson!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top