Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Science Fiction becomes Science Fact

Hi

Remember Star Trek?

Seven of Nine with her nanoprobes?

Well they are here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37486374

Ten years, and they should be able to deliver drugs directly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Re: Science Fiction becomes Science Fact

I remember seeing a Horizon programme some years ago about 'nanotechnology' and tiny little machines we would be able to swallow in a pill.
Some of that has already arrived with things like minute cameras that can relay pictures of the stomach when swallowed.

The above article describes taking this a step further to even smaller 'machines'
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 01:10 PM

Its brilliant work....I think I read somewhere about a drink having nano thingys in it which would in effect get rid of any caries(tooth rot) in your mouth these tiny nanoprobes would seek out only rotted enamel so no danger of them chomping out all your teeth...
Nanotechnology looks very exciting and can only progress further and better ...exciting times to be alive !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 03:40 PM

That really is amazing stuff. It also reminds me of The Fantastic Voyage
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Remember Star Trek?

Seven of Nine with her nanoprobes?
Yep, and what lovely nanoprobes they were !!

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 10:35 PM

It is crap, for a luddite, but, what is promised, seems to disappear, about ten years ago, I think I saw a programme that showed a whole body scanner, that resembled a Hula Hoop connected to a tower, just taller than the tallest Human Being, it started at the feet, and terminated just above the head, and created a 3D image of all the internal organs, without the confines of conventional Scanners. This came at a price, to private healthcare users, but the cost should have filtered down, in due course. I have never heard anything to support this in all these passing years, was it just a dream?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 12:02 AM

we are playing God again and we're gonna come unstuck!!
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Yes i gather that quite a lot of people in Nanotechnology have featured in this year's crop of Nobels.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Some of that has already arrived with things like minute cameras that can relay pictures of the stomach when swallowed...
When I was in a few years ago with appendicitis someone in a nearby bed was having one of those tests. I remember overhearing the person setting it up talking to her and saying they didn't want the capsule back ( it comes out through the posterior ) but the sensing gear he was setting up, which involved sort of radio aerials across her abdomen, cost £ 70,000. It is used to look specifically at rare stuff the small bowel as they can easily look at the stomach etc. with a Gastroscope, which have been around for yonks since I qualified, and the other end with a Colonoscope. I don't think they can take tissue samples which the scopes can do at the more accsessible ends of the bowel
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:27 PM

Realist - yes " Seven of Nine " does have most interesting anterior protuberances!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top