Join for free
Page 4 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 03:07 PM

Re: No Deal is better than a Bad Deal.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You think leaving is going to make us free? That's the joke. We won't be able to travel, work or live in the EU countries we have access to now. Our businesses won't be able to trade without an elaborate trade agreement that's going to take years to sort. Our hands are going to be far more tied than anything we see now. We will have to deal with the same officialdom because we won't stop trading with the EU, they just won't be as friendly as they are now.
Yes, I know. I've heard it all before.
You forgot to mention that the sky will fall down too.

The view this was a democratic decision is piffle. The leave voters didn't know what they were voting for (there was no plan B) and now nobody can agree on what the referendum was all about so we are in a shambles. You ask ten leave voters what they were voting for and you will get twenty different answers. You ask ten remain voters and you will get one answer.
Well I voted to leave and I knew exactly what I was voting for. The leaflet that Mr CaMoron sent me explained it perfectly clearly: do I want to leave the EU or remain within it?

Of course, I could be the only one who knew what I was voting for; perhaps everyone else was confused.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I know. I've heard it all before.
You forgot to mention that the sky will fall down too.
This is your standard response, but you never have any counter arguments other than saying you are optimistic.

There was a phone in on the radio and one of the experts was being asked whether we would be better off after Brexit and could not confirm that. Basically the message is that everything will be worse. Which is a rubbish outcome wherever you sit on the re-leave scale. People will still be blaming the EU for our problems in 50 years time.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 04:01 PM

The EU has been blamed for things that were not of their making and that that is why so many people voted to leave.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 04:13 PM

People have been lied to. Cable was on LBC giving an insight into how the suppression and release of information works in this country. It was in respect of the suppression of negative reports of the influx of workers by Blair's administration because it was not in keeping with the message they wanted to send out at that time.

Basically some mandarins decide what information ministers are and are not allowed to see and the decision for information to be suppressed or released to the press is made by a bunch of faceless, unelected bureaucrats. So there are complaints here about the EU having decisions made by the unelected. The same happens here. It seems it's just like Yes Minister.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 04:25 PM

This is your standard response, but you never have any counter arguments other than saying you are optimistic.
Better to be optimistic than pessimistic, I think.

I, and others, have said all along that there will be difficulties at first, but I believe that we shall overcome them and that the final outcome will be a damned sight better than remaining under the jackboot.

Let that be my standard response, if you please.

As for remainiacs, such as yourself, promising nothing but disaster after disaster is, to say the least, rather boring. Hence my sarcastic response. I'm glad you appreciated it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Hi

The other side of the coin is this.

The decisions are not made by Civil Servants, they are made Ministers' aides, who are Political Appointments.

Ministers do not want to hear bad news and they most certainly do not want it published.

Tony Blair and co were advised to put the block on EU Immigration from the new EU States when they were admitted.

France and Germany both did, for the maximum time allowed.

We choose not to put any restrictions on at all.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

The decisions are not made by Civil Servants, they are made Ministers' aides, who are Political Appointments.
These are un-elected decision makers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2017, 05:11 PM

I, and others, have said all along that there will be difficulties at first, but I believe that we shall overcome them and that the final outcome will be a damned sight better than remaining under the jackboot.
Some "believe" in Santa Claus too, doesn't make him real. All very well having faith if there is some logical basis for it. I can't see any points from anyone substantiating any of the "belief" with any logical facts.

The "jackboot" is another fairy tale illusion. We had the power to be in charge.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Some "believe" in Santa Claus too, doesn't make him real. All very well having faith if there is some logical basis for it. I can't see any points from anyone substantiating any of the "belief" with any logical facts.

The "jackboot" is another fairy tale illusion. We had the power to be in charge.
Fair enough. You believe that we would have been better off if you hadn't lost the referendum and we had remained under the control of the EU. That is your prerogative, even though you are completely misguided.

It sounds like you are also convinced that we could be in charge of Germany, France and all the other EU countries. Perhaps we could suggest that to the EU negotiators as a final offer if we agree to stay.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2017, 07:41 PM

Fair enough. You believe that we would have been better off if you hadn't lost the referendum and we had remained under the control of the EU. That is your prerogative, even though you are completely misguided.

It sounds like you are also convinced that we could be in charge of Germany, France and all the other EU countries. Perhaps we could suggest that to the EU negotiators as a final offer if we agree to stay.
You fail to address the point which is that you don't address the points! I can justify why we shouldn't leave and why we should have stayed to reform the EU given our clout as one of the top three contributors. You can't justify why we should leave other than saying it's "a democratic decision" which is bunkum as an argument. You say I'm misguided whilst being unable to provide any guidance yourself. You seem to have faith in these negotiators as if they are magicians. Snake oil and santa claus is all you have to give any substance to your responses. It's a very "snowflake" approach.

What more do you have other than throwing back the ball to me? Any hard facts and evidence that leaving is going to make us better off (in the next five years say)? I'm preparing to be dazzled and amazed, but please bear in mind that I like logic and not sentiment

Page 4 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top