Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Goldcrest
Scotland
Goldcrest is female  Goldcrest has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 10:59 PM

Smelly cat

I've just rehomed a cat, the seller told me he is a Laperm. Really, I think he has some Laperm in him, and quite a lot of Moggy.

I'm very inexperienced with cats, but his poop seems incredibly stinky. I'm trying to transition him from dry to wet food, which I read may help a bit. I'm even mixing some of my probiotics ( also suitable for animals) with his food, but boy oh boy it's still bad. Does anyone perhaps have any advice please? I'm using Catsan litter
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 11:07 PM

Re: Smelly cat

Having had cats and dogs I have to admit I'd rather pick up dog poo than cat poo which usually smells far worse.

Obviously without smellivision I can't say if your puss has worse poop than any other cat.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 12:01 AM

I think you'll find most cat poo is an unpleasant smell but you do tend to get used to it after a while. I should know, I had my cat for 20 years .... phew!!!

Compare it with changing a baby's nappy ..... you get used to it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 12:19 AM

We have several cat enthusiasts on here Goldcrest, so let's hope they see your post and can offer some more suggestions.

Failing that, would it worth getting him checked over by your vet, and perhaps taking a 'sample' with you for analysis? Has he been wormed?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 12:25 AM

You can buy cat litter which contains a deodoriser or a Litter Tray Deodoriser which is a cat litter tray disinfectant spray that works to both neutralise and remove cat urine smell. Simply spray the clean litter tray at each renewal and refresh cat litter on top for litter odour control.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You can buy cat litter which contains a deodoriser or a Litter Tray Deodoriser which is a cat litter tray disinfectant spray that works to both neutralise and remove cat urine smell. Simply spray the clean litter tray at each renewal and refresh cat litter on top for litter odour control.

But what if he has a tummy upset Mags?
Perhaps his diet doesn't suit his stomach?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

18-11-2017, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But what if he has a tummy upset Mags?
Perhaps his diet doesn't suit his stomach?
Changing a cat's diet has to be introduced slowly as that can upset the cat's stomach ....especially if it's changing from dry to wet food.

If there is diarrhoea, I would definitely take him to the vet for a check up.
Goldcrest
Scotland
Goldcrest is female  Goldcrest has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes I am changing from dry to wet food. The smell is a little better with the wet, but just a very little.The disinfectant spray is such a good idea, I will definitely look out for that. I looked after a cat once and her trays were practically odour free in comparison. Same cat litter. Puss will be seeing the vet this week for a check up. I will mention it to them then.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Hi Goldcrest.

I would be careful about spraying the litter try with disinfectant. Cats are very very fussy and the slightest change might stop him using it altogether. I have to get the same brand of litter every week (luckily it's a cheap one), I have tried all the fancy ones and my two will go elsewhere in protest.

The poo smell is definitely down to the food. Ours have Feklix as good as it gets and James Welbeloved biscuits and the smell is not too bad. In fact, it's normally the urine that smells the most and needs cleaning out every day.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 03:17 PM

I must admit, my Coco doesn't smell, even when she goes to the toilet. I always clean her tray out as soon as she has been to the toilet, and I use CatSan Clumping Litter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top