Join for free
Page 87 of 87 « First < 37 77 85 86 87
Floydy
Hull, UK
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Today, 05:17 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Great to see this thread is still very active with Bob (or Mr. OGF) carrying the torch, but with Surfermom very much in the picture too, plus occasional guests as well. I've just been catching up on a few pages and it's very reassuring to see that you're all keeping the good work in the fitness stakes....which is more than can be said for me, I'm afraid to admit.

Raising its ugly head is that old enemy of mine: Time. There is a distinct lack of it coming my way and bearing the brunt of it is my training schedule. In fact, apart from maybe a couple of very meagre sessions in as many weeks, I've fallen by the wayside.

But I do have my excuses/reasons:
My wife is now over half way through her radiotherapy sessions, following her hysterectomy operation and despite doing very well, she is very tired all the time and I am doing a lot of her usual chores: some cleaning, picking up the granddaughter from school 2-3 times per week, a bit of shopping, etc. And as I work these God-awful night shifts, it seems that as soon as I get out of bed at about 1pm, it's time to start thinking about tea time again and commencing the next shift.

This has all made me a little despondent. It's like the old "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy". I fear Jack Nicholson's character may soon take a permanent hold sometimes!
The training is suffering, I'm still pretty 'built', the muscle is still looking decent and firm but I'm feeling rather lethargic and flabby around the gills, so to speak, though I am very active at work anyway. But other priorities prevail and they must be adhered to.

Having said all that, I've finally got a bit of a grip and I've been looking at my training programme again - in fact I'm starting from scratch. I've worked out an, indeed, 'workable' three sessions per week routine which should take just one hour each getting me back into shape. This I intend to begin later on today (Monday). And to make sure I follow through my endeavors, I thought I'd write this post as some kind of 'promise' to all and sundry that I carry this out.

Watch this space folks!
Floydy
Hull, UK
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Today, 04:16 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Well my return to the gym was relatively successful considering my lengthy absence from anything you could call constructive training. I was up at 12.30 and out an hour later and I hit the weights.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have devised a programme which should take between 45 minutes to an hour, but leaving it open to change if I have more time (and energy). That will return very soon I expect as it doesn't take long to 'get back into it', however lethargic one tends to feel initially.

The first thing I noticed today was my decrease in strength. Although I don't seem to have lost any muscle mass (except in the legs which is due to that knee problem), the weights I proposed to lift today had to be lowered quite considerably, sometimes taking a third off my previous standard lifts. That is a little soul-destroying, but it's to be expected after such a long time away and so I had to keep that out of my mind and concentrate on merely doing what my routine advised.

I won't go into as much detail as I used to do with my write-ups where I would list every single set, rep and weight shifted as this isn't really the right forum for that, but I'll give an overview of the day's session and my plans for improvement. Today called for a 'push' routine focusing on the chest, shoulders and triceps and it went like this:

Beginning with DB presses on 15% incline bench which is a great shoulder exercise and is excellent for the delts also, I began with a rather lowly 2x28kg dumbbells which went pretty well. Four sets carried out in total reaching a max of 32kgs plus a 'drop set' of high reps with the 20kgs weights to finish off with.

Next I went for the machine-based shoulder press. Normally I would finish at around 100kg on this apparatus but I took things easy in case I did myself an injury. Nice array of between 70-90 instead with a 15x40kg finish.

Then I positioned myself on the pec dec. I sit quite low on this machine to enable the upper chest to be worked, then raise the seat for the final set to concentrate on the outer pecs. Again, four sets done with no problems.

The next exercise was the chest press. Like the pec dec, I alter the seat height on each set to work all the muscles of the chest adequately. Really struggled with this today and my max of 5x70 was disappointing.

To finish off with I did a few tricep extensions. By now they were burning which is the sign of good progress, but I still managed some good weight and ended the session after 45 minutes feeling reasonably happy with my efforts.

The thing is with me is that I need to get away from going for the weight all the time. I don't need to get big anymore, I'm okay with my physique as long as I keep the belly in check and alternately, don't get too skinny in the arms and so on. I need to focus more on doing a pretty intensive session but going for more reps with lighter weights. I'm not a bodybuilder anymore - at 53 that is something I am finally understanding to be ridiculous and pointless - but with thirty plus years of doing this it's hard to shelve. I'll do this week's programme as it's written out but from next week I'll be adjusting my programme accordingly to suit my post-middle-age capabilities!

Regards
Page 87 of 87 « First < 37 77 85 86 87

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top