Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 07:03 PM

Re: New car

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
As mine is now 3 years old having just had it serviced under warranty and MOT,ed we decided to take up an offer of a 3 year service plan. We not only saved on that service by way of taking ot the plan but also will save several hundreds of pounds over that period of the plan. what we didn't realise it also included RAC breakdown cover.

When getting a new care try asking for extras like floor mats etc, also do look to see if it comes with a spare wheel. Make sure it at least has a space saver wheel, this stuff in a bottle is useless to inflate a tyre.

My wife bought an ex demo Honda and got a fantastic deal with a low milage car, worth consideing a well.

Any garage will sell demo cars if pushed, a sale is a sale afterall.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Watch out for sales techniques they use . I saw it many times when doing telephone work in many showrooms

First of all they let you wander around opening doors- sticking head inside etc until they see you homing in on a particular model

In comes the sales man " Can I be of assistance, Do you have anything particular in mind? " is the opening gambet.

You may at this stage ask more questions

Next is to leave you again saying where he will be for future assistance.

Ok the fishing line is cast

you go back to look at a car again then

So as a customer you wander over making more enquiries about a certain model.
Next gambet is "Well if you are interested how about a test drive?

By now the fish (you ) are about to bite

So off for a test drive while in the meantime your car gets a look over for valuation purposes by another staff member.

OK back in the showroom and reeling in time the fish is on the line.

"do you have any colour in mind " he says showing different ones.

You like say a blue one. "nearly in the net now"
What about the higher spec version" more commission

Salesman goes into back office , usual trick pretending to discuss the sale with the manager but they actually don't, it is another ploy to leave you alone to make a final decision.

salesman comes back and says something like " I have spoken to my manager and agrees to make this offer in P/X

Do not accept they always can do better. They will check book prices again on a computer and make a better one

Now and only now you agree, so how do you pay " taking out an HP or bank loan or one arranged by the garage?

If by the garage don't accept their offer, everything is negioatable even interest rates. So bargain

The salesman now has you in his net and just has to pull you out of the water.

Now go for those little extras like seat covers -floor mats- touchup paint and whatever you get your eyes on.

Push a salesman to the limit. He either makes a smaller commission or misses out on a sales target

I actually find it quite a challanging sport to see how far I can go with it. remember there is a limit they won't go beyond
Just did the same for my daughter,( desperately in need of a better car, and it's her birthday) on a Demo Citroen C1 with all the gear very very low mileage for a reasonable price.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 07:07 PM

yes demos can be a bargain. Sue's Honda was advertised/sold as a base model but when we got it there was a factory fitted Sat Nav included which was part of the next up in range.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 07:10 PM

I only popped into the dealership for a quick look around, and there it was, I haggled a bit after all the tricks you mentioned had been exhausted and walked away a happy bunny I pick it up tomorrow
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Yes this is a ford main dealer, if you bought a new car from a franchised dealer, and they went bust, you would still be covered by the manufacturer, as you could take your car to another franchised dealer for repairs/servicing, might be different, however with a second hand car, without much warranty
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I only popped into the dealership for a quick look around, and there it was, I haggled a bit after all the tricks you mentioned had been exhausted and walked away a happy bunny I pick it up tomorrow
did you get those extras and take them out of your car
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

27-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Already on the car, chrome pack, leather seats, two tone colour..very girly but it looks ok
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:31 AM

I always run our present car through "We Buy Any Car" first, the Main Dealer we use openly told us that, the trade all use the same source to value PXs, so you get a good idea of what the financials are going to be, before you enter the showroom.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I always run our present car through "We Buy Any Car" first, the Main Dealer we use openly told us that, the trade all use the same source to value PXs, so you get a good idea of what the financials are going to be, before you enter the showroom.
Just ran mine through we buy any car,£895 for a ten yr old zafira 1.9 cdti,think I'll be keeping it til the government force me to sell or it goes bang, which ever comes first.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Been to the dealers this morning, sorted the private plate, that's on retention ready for the new car, so all being well should get the new car next Saturday..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

30-09-2017, 06:46 PM

When Igot my new landrover freelander it came with that horrible liquid in a can repair kit for flat tyres. Buying a new full size spare would have cost hundreds of pounds. SiO i went onto the internet and bought a set of 4 used ones. When they came i kept the best on and sold on the other 3 for the same price as I got all 4 for. So in fact a decent spare for free but I did have to fit a new tyre on it as not knowing condition of existing one, ie remold.

So if your new car doesnt come with a spare tyre get on off Ebay, I did this also with Sues new Honda, got a get out if trouble one . Lucky I did as one got damaged going over a pothole
My new Nissan came with a temp wheel/tyre, a lot of cars don't now

My Neighbour got a new mini yesterday and has no space for a spare, even the original minis had one

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top