Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Re: Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I have been watching the excellent series "This Farming Life" featuring Scottish farmers. The impression I got from watching all of these programmes was how incredibly hard, and dangerous farming can be. Involving the whole family twenty four hours a day. I see they are repeating the programmes and there is one on BBC2 at 4.15 today. I became quite hooked on these programmes and have tremendous admiration for the dedication of those people.
It depends I guess what sort of farm it is ceecee, round us they have bursts of activity then long down times.

On holiday we get up at 8am a nice lie in as my husband usually starts at 4am, but we are up well before the farmers on either side of the road. One even complained at noise from our caravan site at ungodly hour of 9am on a Sunday morning. That's hardly working 24/7.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Re: Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I always think you rarely see a poor farmer. I also am amazed at how many don't seem to work particularly hard either, it wasn't like that a few years ago, farmers worked really hard back then.

I'm not sure I agree with you there, Julie.

1. For a start, you said you rarely see a poor farmer.
How would you happen to know what is in any farmers bank account?

2. They don't work particularly hard you say?
Again, how would you know unles you spent a year working with them 24/7?

What about lambing time for a start? A lot of ewes are checked day and night for difficult births.

What about dairy farms with milking twice a day, 7 days a week?

Poultry farms and egg collecting and packing 7 days a week?

Animals to round up, assess and transport to market?

What about the endless ploughing, then sowing, then spraying, then harvesting as well as keeping their machinery in good working order?

A well run farm with crops and livestock is jolly hard work if he doesn't want it to get neglected.

Sundays can be just the same as any other working day, and very often if someone seems to be sitting indoors doing nothing, they are often trying to catch up on paperwork and bookeeping.

I bet they don't get anywhere near as much time off as those in regular hours jobs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Well coming from a farming family in the 60s70s things changed a lot, farmers we visited to get workers into unions suddenly became unwanted and were chucked out of their homes enmass, that's coloured my view of them I'm afraid. You will never convince me they are poor. Nor that they don't have an easier life than the men and women they had working for them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm not sure I agree with you there, Julie.

1. For a start, you said you rarely see a poor farmer.
How would you happen to know what is in any farmers bank account?

2. They don't work particularly hard you say?
Again, how would you know unles you spent a year working with them 24/7?

What about lambing time for a start? A lot of ewes are checked day and night for difficult births.

What about dairy farms with milking twice a day, 7 days a week?

Poultry farms and egg collecting and packing 7 days a week?

Animals to round up, assess and transport to market?

What about the endless ploughing, then sowing, then spraying, then harvesting as well as keeping their machinery in good working order?

A well run farm with crops and livestock is jolly hard work if he doesn't want it to get neglected.

Sundays can be just the same as any other working day, and very often if someone seems to be sitting indoors doing nothing, they are often trying to catch up on paperwork and bookeeping.

I bet they don't get anywhere near as much time off as those in regular hours jobs.
Hi

Dairy and livestock is hard work, it is every single day.

Arable is different, sometimes of the year it is none stop and dictated by the weather, harvest is manic.

Other times, it is easy.

Mixed is the worst of both worlds, there is no rest.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well coming from a farming family in the 60s70s things changed a lot, farmers we visited to get workers into unions suddenly became unwanted and were chucked out of their homes enmass, that's coloured my view of them I'm afraid. You will never convince me they are poor. Nor that they don't have an easier life than the men and women they had working for them.

I don't get this 'poor' thing though Julie?
They work and get paid the same as anyone else. What's wrong with that?
They are working for their living the same as anyone else, they are not on the dole, they are working, so expect a wage.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:56 AM

We can certainly use more of the food we grow, a lot goes to waste because it is not profitable to pick it with so many cheap produce coming from Europe. It gets ploughed back or rots on the ground.

I know some farmers who are already preparing to grow more by installing additional plastic tunnelling for soft fruit and early vegetables.

Families can grow more vegetables, I am amazed how much I can grow in my small garden.

We can all eat less too, there are so many overweight people, a few less obese people will save a fortune for the health service.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Farmers used to have one of the highest suicide rates of professions quite recently. There are rich farmers who have invested when times were good or sold off land at premium rates then there are smaller scale farmers who just give up after being squeezed by buyers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Farmers used to have one of the highest suicide rates of professions quite recently. There are rich farmers who have invested when times were good or sold off land at premium rates then there are smaller scale farmers who just give up after being squeezed by buyers.
My cousin owns an over 1000 acre farm in East Anglia, as a young teen I went every year to 'help' with the harvest. He still has that farm but hasn't worked it himself for over a decade (perhaps more I am not sure). The land is contracted out with someone else farming it he just lives very comfortably in the original (and very large) farmhouse off the income it produces.

Julie is right they have never been poor.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-10-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Dairy and livestock is hard work, it is every single day.

Arable is different, sometimes of the year it is none stop and dictated by the weather, harvest is manic.

Other times, it is easy.

Mixed is the worst of both worlds, there is no rest.

That's more or less what I said Swim!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-10-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My cousin owns an over 1000 acre farm in East Anglia, as a young teen I went every year to 'help' with the harvest. He still has that farm but hasn't worked it himself for over a decade (perhaps more I am not sure). The land is contracted out with someone else farming it he just lives very comfortably in the original (and very large) farmhouse off the income it produces.

Julie is right they have never been poor.

I really don't get this about whether they are poor or not.

Why does everyone seem want to see a farmer poor?

Why condemn a bloke who works for his wages, just the same as anyone else? I don't get it.

Are men in other professions condemned for doing well in business too?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top