Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Re: Teaching Brexit

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How can a learning institution tell students it makes sense when it's illogical human behaviour? Maybe one day they will teach it on psychology courses under "mass delusion".
Triumph for the biased and self indulgent media maybe?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 11:38 AM

How can a learning institution tell students it makes sense when it's illogical human behaviour? Maybe one day they will teach it on psychology courses under "mass delusion".
That's your opinion not fact. Very little about brexit is fact. No one can say in ten years what will happen within or without the eu, therefore both sides has to be discussed in schools.

Most of the remainers arguments seem to be about money. Most of the leavers about principles of who we want governing us. Emotion you may say but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong to talk about it.

Kids needed exposing to all sides in the argument, or were remainers scared they might just make a different decision if they learned about all sides ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's your opinion not fact. Very little about brexit is fact. No one can say in ten years what will happen within or without the eu, therefore both sides has to be discussed in schools.

Most of the remainers arguments seem to be about money. Most of the leavers about principles of who we want governing us. Emotion you may say but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong to talk about it.

Kids needed exposing to all sides in the argument, or were remainers scared they might just make a different decision if they learned about all sides ?
If there are little facts about brexit then what is there to teach?!

You can talk emotions in psychology lessons, but you can't make a case for emotional voting decisions in a business or economics class. Emotional decisions are by their very nature irrational.

Students go to university to learn to think for themselves and to question and debate the facts as presented to them. These are not kids but young adults with minds of their own.

What we don't need in this country is ministers dictating what universities should or should not be teaching. That's what happens in totalitarian regimes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 03:06 PM

If there are little facts about brexit then what is there to teach?!

You can talk emotions in psychology lessons, but you can't make a case for emotional voting decisions in a business or economics class. Emotional decisions are by their very nature irrational.

Students go to university to learn to think for themselves and to question and debate the facts as presented to them. These are not kids but young adults with minds of their own.

What we don't need in this country is ministers dictating what universities should or should not be teaching. That's what happens in totalitarian regimes.
If they are unable to put both cases equally then they need to shut up and not mention it. When I worked in village hall we had a ban on any political posters because we were a polling station, universities should be treated like that IMO our democracy is too important to risk this sort of brain washing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 03:20 PM

If they are unable to put both cases equally then they need to shut up and not mention it. When I worked in village hall we had a ban on any political posters because we were a polling station, universities should be treated like that IMO our democracy is too important to risk this sort of brain washing.
I don't think any university teaching politics or economics can ban discussion of Brexit. Even if it's not on the syllabus the students are going to bring it up. After all university is about discussion, debate and free thinking (or should be).

I saw a tweet quoting this article, which sums this whole issue up perfectly : "Daily Mail has noticed that the vast majority of people who have spent their lives studying economics and politics think Brexit a bad idea. "
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-10-2017, 04:15 PM

I don't think any university teaching politics or economics can ban discussion of Brexit. Even if it's not on the syllabus the students are going to bring it up. After all university is about discussion, debate and free thinking (or should be).

I saw a tweet quoting this article, which sums this whole issue up perfectly : "Daily Mail has noticed that the vast majority of people who have spent their lives studying economics and politics think Brexit a bad idea. "
Free thinking should include allowing both sides to be heard, not screaming racist at those who are questioning it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-10-2017, 05:10 PM

Free thinking should include allowing both sides to be heard, not screaming racist at those who are questioning it.
It's also not about censorship by the state thought police.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-10-2017, 08:53 PM

It's also not about censorship by the state thought police.
They aren't censoring, all that they from what I can see they want is equal time for all ideas. I can't see a problem with that at all.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 09:12 PM

That's a ridiculous statement. The teaching syllabus from primary school right the way up the chain is a vital element of the fabric of society. Teach people how to steal cars, break into shops and you have a society of criminals.

Of course we HAVE to dictate a sensible fair and balanced syllabus right the way through. It must be objective, impartial and appropriate.

Unfortunately it transpires that what we actually have in universities is an EU subverted syllabus and heavily biased teaching structure that has seen students indoctrinated towards the EU and taught (conditioned) to treat and label BrExiteers as racists.

The government are 100% right to challenge this and look into it. The situation is clearly despicable and a number of key university professors and lecturers have completely abused their privileged positions.

That needs to be rectified and hopefully it will be, despite Looney Labour's very very lame attempts to obstruct the process and label the investigation as something Nazi like.

Shame on them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-10-2017, 10:04 PM

They aren't censoring, all that they from what I can see they want is equal time for all ideas. I can't see a problem with that at all.
We don't know what the pro-brexit mob want next, but I don't think it's equal airtime for all ideas. But if you can't see the problem with a biased politician writing to universities to question their teaching then I can't help you.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top