Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Re: Camellia Bud drop

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You'll probably be alright then dongle, but what sometimes happens is although there are buds, the buds can start to drop off again before they open.
Sudden severe frost can cause this too.
Hi Mupsy. So it might be worth me putting some fleece around it on cold nights?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:56 AM

Here you are dongle, have a look at this about winter protection. I don't want to tell you wrong.

https://internationalcamellia.org/wi...n-of-camellias

This is a bit more informative than Monty.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Here you are dongle, have a look at this about winter protection. I don't want to tell you wrong.

https://internationalcamellia.org/wi...n-of-camellias

This is a bit more informative than Monty.
Thanks Mups. Mine is in a rather large pot. I don't have anywhere to move it to so will do as the site suggests and cover the pot in bubble wrap.

There's too much to remember with this gardening lark. I have started a garden diary on a spread sheet naming all my plants with pics and what to do at what time of year. Trouble is, I forget to look at it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-02-2018, 06:23 PM

I covered the pot in flooring foam underlay and covered the soil with some old basket lining and the buds seem to be very secure and plenty of them.

The only problem I have noticed is that the leaves have gone a bit curly although otherwise look in good condition, no damage or discolouring. I have given it a bucket full of rain water this week in case it needs it.

Most Google results say that curly leaves means that it needs re-potting but I can't believe that's the problem. it was only planted last year and is in a pot which is about three feet high and 18" wide.

Anyone else had this problem?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 12:42 AM

Dongles, it might be worth just gently scraping some soil away from around the root and see if there are any Vine weevals eating the Camellia roots.
There is perhaps not, but worth checking as the blighters love Camellias.
Failing that, some places talk about leaf curl being signs of a virus, but I can't say for sure.

This might be worth a read too:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=771
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Dongles, it might be worth just gently scraping some soil away from around the root and see if there are any Vine weevals eating the Camellia roots.
There is perhaps not, but worth checking as the blighters love Camellias.
Failing that, some places talk about leaf curl being signs of a virus, but I can't say for sure.

This might be worth a read too:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=771
Thanks Mups.

Your link mentions over potting ( I didn't know that was a problem) Perhaps the pot was too big for the plant. I have had a look in the soil this morning and there doesn't seem to be any weevils and what I could see of the roots, they looked ok. I suppose I will just have to wait and see. What's odd though is that the plant looks really healthy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-02-2018, 12:49 PM

As you say Dongles, perhaps just wait and see what happens over the next few months then. Don't know what else to suggest.
It's supposed to be really cold again now until March I heard, even snow forecast again next week.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Suprised when I looked out this morning to see a beautiful pink.After 2 days of non stop rain and all that cold weather we had I thought I would not see many blooms on my Camellia this year.I know its rather late but better late than never as they say.Loads of buds still left unopened I wonder if it can conquer once again The Beast From The East which according to reports may return again this weekend.
It is nice to see colour this time of year,still waiting for the snowdrops and crocus and daffs to show their blooms.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-03-2018, 11:43 PM

Hiya Longfella I don't think it is late for them to flower at all, well not for some anyway.
It must depend on which variety you have and what part of the country we're in, too.

I have my white one starting to flower, but two bigger ones I have got are nowhere near flowering yet. In fact I doubt they will flower before the end of the month.
I'm quite glad of this , because as you say, they are warning it's going to get cold again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Suprised when I looked out this morning to see a beautiful pink.After 2 days of non stop rain and all that cold weather we had I thought I would not see many blooms on my Camellia this year.I know its rather late but better late than never as they say.Loads of buds still left unopened I wonder if it can conquer once again The Beast From The East which according to reports may return again this weekend.
It is nice to see colour this time of year,still waiting for the snowdrops and crocus and daffs to show their blooms.
My neighbour at the back has two huge Camellias, one red and one pink. The pink one looks fantastic at this time of year but it was caught by the Beast and has started to brown.

My white one in the container has survived the snow and frost but the petals are also tinged with brown.

I find it odd that Camellias are damaged by frost when that is the time they flower.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top