Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Hair and chemo and to wig or not

My hair is dreadful at the moment, it's the poison I'm having pumped into me I know, but brushing it and finding so much has come out in the brush I'm searching for bald patches is getting a bit distressing. I know I should cut it off but I just can't bring myself to so I'm trying to keep at least some.

Eyebrows gone already which looks odd, I'm allowing grace to paint them on me in the morning which makes us both smile, her concentration to get it just right and little tongue sticking out as she does it makes me smile, and I think me smiling makes her smile too. So not all bad.

I'm coconut oiling daily as what I have is dry as a bone.

My scalp is sore in places so I'm hoping not to lose hair in those places as red patches isn't very nice to look at.

I forget at times and catch sight as I walk past a mirror only to be brought to a full stop as I mourn my poor hair.

I'm a terrible person caring about it like this I know many have much worse so I should be able to just see it as a minor thing but I think I am more upset with it than I was losing my boob.

Anyway I'm told wigs are better than they used to be so I'm wondering whether to go down the wig route or head scarves as I did last time I had chemo.

Which would you do given this problem ?

My husband and family are being stars absolutely doing all they can to make me feel better so I'm a trying not to be too gloomy around them, my friends have disappeared though either I was too gloomy or poor things don't know what to say, I feel sorry for them either way.

Anyway apologies for the gloom but if you have any funny stories about wigs or scarves please share it might cheer me up
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Re: Hair and chemo and to wig or not

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My hair is dreadful at the moment, it's the poison I'm having pumped into me I know, but brushing it and finding so much has come out in the brush I'm searching for bald patches is getting a bit distressing. I know I should cut it off but I just can't bring myself to so I'm trying to keep at least some.

Eyebrows gone already which looks odd, I'm allowing grace to paint them on me in the morning which makes us both smile, her concentration to get it just right and little tongue sticking out as she does it makes me smile, and I think me smiling makes her smile too. So not all bad.

I'm coconut oiling daily as what I have is dry as a bone.

My scalp is sore in places so I'm hoping not to lose hair in those places as red patches isn't very nice to look at.

I forget at times and catch sight as I walk past a mirror only to be brought to a full stop as I mourn my poor hair.

I'm a terrible person caring about it like this I know many have much worse so I should be able to just see it as a minor thing but I think I am more upset with it than I was losing my boob.

Anyway I'm told wigs are better than they used to be so I'm wondering whether to go down the wig route or head scarves as I did last time I had chemo.

Which would you do given this problem ?

My husband and family are being stars absolutely doing all they can to make me feel better so I'm a trying not to be too gloomy around them, my friends have disappeared though either I was too gloomy or poor things don't know what to say, I feel sorry for them either way.

Anyway apologies for the gloom but if you have any funny stories about wigs or scarves please share it might cheer me up

Julie darlin' - make yourself look good and cheer yourself up by doing so - go for the wig!!! Have seen a recent advert on television with a lady in a similar position being offered a bright blue one - go for that!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:03 PM

If it were me (and I was a lady) I would go for the wig, a good one. It's not so bad for us men who can just have the lot shaved off.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:05 PM

Blue ones an interesting idea ! Might see if I can find a pink one though as that's my favourite colour.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Blue ones an interesting idea ! Might see if I can find a pink one though as that's my favourite colour.

If your wardrobe is otherwise suitable - then go for it Julie darlin' !!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Something like this Julie darlin' - doesn't she look good???

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...0&action=click
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-11-2017, 02:18 PM

Or like this Julie darlin'

https://www.amazon.com/Smiffys-Women...70_&dpSrc=srch
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Julie, I didn't know about this, I am so sorry.
I think a wig, but they can make you feel hot.
I have two unused wigs that I paid a lot of money for my Mum(Now passed away). I would be more than happy to give you them, they are blonde.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:36 PM

I would go for a wig.

When I was having chemo this time last year my hair didn't fall out (what was left of it); it just thinned and became very downy/silk-like all over my body.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Julie I wouldn't go for a wig, I am told they are hot,uncomfortable, and itchy.

There are so many people around on chemo with hair loss these days people don't look twice.
If my hair got to the really wispy stage I would embrace rather than hide it and shave my head then wear a hat when it was cold outside or one of these...

https://www.headcovers.com/scarves?g...iAAEgIdPvD_BwE
cooler and more comfortable and also wear some hoop earings...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top