Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Proud to be British

Having just viewed "6 Days" - based on the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege in London - I can vividly recall how proud I was in 1980 to learn of the success of everyone involved in bringing an end to the siege.

There are other times when I have also felt this patriotism, although a couple of them may be too contentious to mention, but I wondered what occasions have made other Forum members "proud to be British"?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:02 PM

Re: Proud to be British

I'm always proud when I see some of my colleagues at work, they have come through torture and worse to get to uk, we have given them sanctuary and I feel very proud to be part of a country can offer that helping hand when they needed it.

I'm also proud of our NHS creaky as it may be its still quite an achievement for a small island. Our police too unarmed most of them willing to put themselves before us in times of danger. And our education system that again creaky as if is still turns out caring brilliant people.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:11 PM

I can't think of a single one incident that makes me proud to be British.
I just love the country where I was born and live and all that makes it's the place where I belong... aye, warts and all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Seeing the British naval forces sail to in the Falklands War to protect the interests of just a few people.

A doctor I know served on the SS Uganda and came back with terrible stories. A heavy price was paid in deaths and injuries but the principle of going to the aid of our friends in their time of need was upheld.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Ah yes, that is a worthy one Meg. The Falklands.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Yes, the Falklands too!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:46 PM

We are an island race and kept invaders away for centuries, isn't that enough to be proud of?
We have given the world the English language , no other country has done that in their own language
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:57 PM

When I see old films of how they were in WWII and coped with the Blitz, the way we don’t over react to terrorist threats, the way a cup of tea will solve most problems, our eternal optimism about the weather, our sense of humour. Going to Countries on the other side of the World and seeing our peculiarities have been exported. What does not make me proud is the xenophobic pro Brext brigade.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 07:01 PM

I was certainly proud to be British when I was younger. Yes, the Iranian Embassy siege and the Falklands conflict are good examples and, of course, there have been others; very many over the history of this great land.

I'm sad to say that I feel rather differently today. Not about the past, of course, but about how things are going today. The worst of it is, I'm afraid, that many of our problems are brought about by our own people.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Unfortunately I increasingly feel the same way as JBR. I'm proud of who we were not who we are - the laughing stock of the world.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top