Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is online now
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,041
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 12:13 PM
21

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
That's ok, she can do the painting.
She will too, and she's also the interior design guru, we have always been a good team and both bring something to the table with our different parts to play.
Reply With Quote
Norway's Avatar
Norway
Senior Member
Norway is offline
Norway
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 793
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 01:11 PM
22

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Barry View Post
For those of you that are interested in such things, I am currently converting the loft of our bungalow into another room, for hobbies mainly but it will double up as a spare bedroom if needed.

I'm doing most of the structural work myself, and although it's quite a shock to the system after being retired for a few years the sense of achievement is still as satisfying as it ever was and helps to dull the aches and pains that the physical work creates.

Below are a few progress shots of the project, the first stage of which was to re-tile the whole building (using professional tilers) and the formation of a dormer window to the front...

Before we started...



The front of the roof stripped and new supporting timbers going in...



The side walls fixed and the roof timbers being fixed....



New felt and laths fixed to roof and the window frame fitted into the dormer...



Roof ready for tiles and the dormer ready for cladding...



Front of the roof completed and watertight...



That's where we are up to at the moment, I'm taking a couple of days off now to rest before the electrician arrives next week to change some existing wiring and first fix the new room.

I will add more pics of the inside conversion in a couple of weeks when I have made more progress...
Have the building inspectors said that you should have the roof strengthened, they did with my BIL they said it needed to be strong enough to withstand two feet of lying snow!!!!!!. Talk about jobsworth, but he had to do it or they would not give approval.
Reply With Quote
Newcomer
Senior Member
Newcomer is online now
Dorset
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 267
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 01:33 PM
23

Re: Loft conversion

That is a huge project to do on your own. Well done.
Reply With Quote
Norway's Avatar
Norway
Senior Member
Norway is offline
Norway
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 793
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 01:52 PM
24

Re: Loft conversion

I can see now where you have put extra roof supports in , finish job looks amazing, congratulations
Reply With Quote
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is online now
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,041
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 01:54 PM
25

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Norway View Post
Have the building inspectors said that you should have the roof strengthened, they did with my BIL they said it needed to be strong enough to withstand two feet of lying snow!!!!!!. Talk about jobsworth, but he had to do it or they would not give approval.
According to the building control officer I need to increase the size of rafter to 125mm up from 75mm to allow for the extra loading of insulation and plasterboard, which I calculated to be just 13kg/m2 , so I will be adding the extra rafters alongside each existing rafter from purlin to ridge...
Reply With Quote
Moscow
Senior Member
Moscow is offline
Scotland
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 221
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 06:32 PM
26

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Barry View Post
According to the building control officer I need to increase the size of rafter to 125mm up from 75mm to allow for the extra loading of insulation and plasterboard, which I calculated to be just 13kg/m2 , so I will be adding the extra rafters alongside each existing rafter from purlin to ridge...
You don't need to add 125 mm rafters alongside the existing 75mm rafters.......simply nail 50 x50 treated timbers to the underside of your 75mm rafers with a framing nailgun ( or screw with 90mm x 5.0 Reisser screws) .
It's a much simpler and cheaper method and less time consuming. This only needs to be done between the ridge and the vertical walls at the eaves . Check with the building inspector but that should be fine........It's how I've usually done it with full approval of the building inspector.


Btw I take back what I said earlier....The worst part of the job I'm on was overboarding the ground floor ceilings with 2 layers of fire retardant plasterboard( The whole ground floor!) as per the architect's spec! That was a tough job. I hope you won't have to do the same!
Reply With Quote
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is online now
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,041
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 07:09 PM
27

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Moscow View Post
You don't need to add 125 mm rafters alongside the existing 75mm rafters.......simply nail 50 x50 treated timbers to the underside of your 75mm rafers with a framing nailgun ( or screw with 90mm x 5.0 Reisser screws) .
It's a much simpler and cheaper method and less time consuming. This only needs to be done between the ridge and the vertical walls at the eaves . Check with the building inspector but that should be fine........It's how I've usually done it with full approval of the building inspector.


Btw I take back what I said earlier....The worst part of the job I'm on was overboarding the ground floor ceilings with 2 layers of fire retardant plasterboard( The whole ground floor!) as per the architect's spec! That was a tough job. I hope you won't have to do the same!
Thanks for that, I will check with him. Regarding the double boarding, apparently it's only the new stairs that need underdrawing with two layers and skim.....
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is offline
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,313
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 08:34 PM
28

Re: Loft conversion

Well Barry

All I can say is that is one hell of a project you have undertaken and good on you for having a go. As you said you had professional to reroof and a wise idea . All that effort just to have a man cave is going some. Wait until the neighbours see the project finished and they will be trying to copy you


What I do like is you are keeping a photographic copy of the progress step by step. It is oh so easy to forget those easy and unexpected hard parts of the project.
Reply With Quote
Moscow
Senior Member
Moscow is offline
Scotland
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 221
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-11-2017, 09:05 PM
29

Re: Loft conversion

Another bit of advice for you, Barr, y that might prove useful.

If you've not ordered your staircase yet try the online company StairBox ( based in Stoke on Trent) . they deliver nationwide.

All the contractors use them nowadays and they can usually deliver within two or three weeks from ordering. All handrails and spindles are pre-cut too, which is really helpful.
They will help you with the design if you're unsure. The double winder stairs I just fitted on this loft conversion I'm presently fitting was from StairBox
Reply With Quote
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is online now
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,041
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
12-11-2017, 10:06 AM
30

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Moscow View Post
Another bit of advice for you, Barr, y that might prove useful.

If you've not ordered your staircase yet try the online company StairBox ( based in Stoke on Trent) . they deliver nationwide.

All the contractors use them nowadays and they can usually deliver within two or three weeks from ordering. All handrails and spindles are pre-cut too, which is really helpful.
They will help you with the design if you're unsure. The double winder stairs I just fitted on this loft conversion I'm presently fitting was from StairBox
Yes, I am using Stairbox but I cannot order the flight until I can determine the exact floor to floor measurement, which I shiuld be able to do this coming week after cutting out the ceiling and trimming out the stair well.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.