Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 12:47 PM

Re: Profit from tragedy???

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I've no idea but for some reason it's thought that lease holders are subsidised by council tenants which is not the case.

Many are face with huge bills while the council tenants are not.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...policy.society
Hi

If you are a Council Tenant you pay into and are funded out of the Housing Revenue Account.

No money into or out of the Rates Money we all pay for.

If you are a Leaseholder, it is your property, even on shared Ownership, you must pay your share.

That is the system.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 12:54 PM

If lease holders are held responsible for decisions made by council and architects where will that end ? We are responsible for anything inside our flat absolutely everything. The council is responsible or owner of the building should be responsible for all common areas and everything out side the flat.

We are currently fighting about subsidence here, I'll be damned if we are found to have to pay for the work, it will bankrupt several of the tenants/lease holders.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If lease holders are held responsible for decisions made by council and architects where will that end ? We are responsible for anything inside our flat absolutely everything. The council is responsible or owner of the building should be responsible for all common areas and everything out side the flat.

We are currently fighting about subsidence here, I'll be damned if we are found to have to pay for the work, it will bankrupt several of the tenants/lease holders.
Hi

If there is subsidence, it will be paid for by your Insurers.

All leaseholders in blocks of flats share responsibility for the common parts.

That is the law of the land.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Whatever happened to "Caveat Emptor"?

It's one thing buying into a block of flats, maybe to make a fast buck as we have seen examples of recently.

However, the buyer should make sure he/she understands what leasehold is all about!

If there is high cost maintenance to be done you'll be required to pay your share - and you might have no say in who does the job or how much is spent.

Surprised the Solicitor/Agent did not point out the pitfalls.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If there is subsidence, it will be paid for by your Insurers.

All leaseholders in blocks of flats share responsibility for the common parts.

That is the law of the land.
Not so, it's a previous known problem and insurers have backed away at an alarming speed. It's up to the council who own the building and land. A lease holder can't be held responsible for things out side their walls here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Not so, it's a previous known problem and insurers have backed away at an alarming speed. It's up to the council who own the building and land. A lease holder can't be held responsible for things out side their walls here.
Hi

I have to disagree.

Leaseholders are responsible.

If it was a previously known problem, your Solicitor should have advised you and extra Insurance should have been taken out.

An Indemnity Payment.

Your claim is against your Solicitor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-11-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have to disagree.

Leaseholders are responsible.

If it was a previously known problem, your Solicitor should have advised you and extra Insurance should have been taken out.

An Indemnity Payment.

Your claim is against your Solicitor.
If you lived closer I'd show you my lease it's clearly their responsibility. We aren't allowed to even paint our front doors because the council are responsible.

Doesn't matter what percentage of the flat we own everything inside our walls is ours everything out side theirs. When we had a plumbing problem was quite an argument as it was within the walls but end of it they conceded it was still outside our walls do theirs to fix.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-11-2017, 01:40 PM

If you lived closer I'd show you my lease it's clearly their responsibility. We aren't allowed to even paint our front doors because the council are responsible.

Doesn't matter what percentage of the flat we own everything inside our walls is ours everything out side theirs. When we had a plumbing problem was quite an argument as it was within the walls but end of it they conceded it was still outside our walls do theirs to fix.
Hi

Then you have a very unusual lease.

You are very fortunate to have such a lease.

Good Luck to you for having one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-11-2017, 02:10 PM

It's standard council lease for this area swim. I can't speak for other councils but both Surrey and Woking borough have the same standard lease.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top