Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 08:46 PM

Geraniums again

My geraniums have miraculously survived the first frosts and now I have them under cover .
Question
Do I have to take cuttings what if I just cut them back a bit will they do for next year?
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 12:47 AM

Re: Geraniums again

If you're going to cut them back you may as well take cuttings.Dip cut ends in rooting gel and into a sandy compost....then stick on a window ledge, most of them will root...don't let the central heating dry them out,but don't cover as they are prone to fungus.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 12:50 PM

This takes me back to when I used to visit my granddad. Every year he would take hundreds of cuttings which would fill all the window sills in the house. I can still smell the distinctive smell of the leaves.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Yes, they do have a distinctive smell, don't they dongle.
I have a certain pale pink/white one that I have kept going by taking cuttings, for best part of 15 years.

The original 'mother plant' belonged to a lady I used to help look after, she was lovely.
When she died, her family cleared everything out except for her pink Geranium.
I couldn't leave it there to die, and I decided to look after it for her.
I still have it after all these years and I call it "Phyllis's Pink" after her.

I have quite a few plants from people I was fond of and lost.
I like to look after them and keep them going for them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top