Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Re: my son need a bit of help

Looks good RS.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Looks great. Good idea with the wood strip. I'd love to use more hardwood but the stuff is so damned hard to work.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Ok how did i do it for those interested

First thing was to test with a spike to see how far the rot had gone.
next mark out the pencil where to cut

Needed a "Sabre saw" (electric one) to cut along marked lines. It would have been impossible to do with a hand saw or taken ages at least. Ok rot removed and used a small mirror in the gap left to check the rest of the upright .

Great everything ok so now put step back just to measure the gap left. in this case about 2 inches.

So over to the workmate and used it to hold the doner wood and measures the 2 inches and a set square the mark 2 sides/

Now hard wood is a right sod to cut but I do have a powerful rotary saw which made short work of that.

Ok with cut off bit offer it up to the gap, it has to be a tight fit so back went the step.

Needed a little refining but resized better. When both ends done and the waterproof membraine under the step with and holes predrilling in that and concrete back in final position for the step. In went the fixing screws.

Next was to offer up and hammer home replacement blocks which have to be a tight fit after using a bit of wood glue ,not that it really needed it.

Ok blocks well and truely wedged in out with the wood chisel to marry up the old shaped remaining uprights..

Ok door shut test erm bit more work with chisel , now door shouts ok.

Finished ? bit more to do as in using power drill with sanding disc to flush the old with the new on any lips still showing . Also had to render up around the door tread on the left a bit of exposed brickwork. The rest builders are going back to do a bit more finishing off.

That was my part finished. after we went he got on with the rain block strip and painting
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
Looks great. Good idea with the wood strip. I'd love to use more hardwood but the stuff is so damned hard to work.

Tell me about it. I have a Makita circular saw to make it easier

Me being a miser and saves everything for a rainy day. When I removed two old log sheds the previous owner erected he made them partly out of hard wood. Knowing how expensive it is I saved as much as could and that strip was a bit of roof battening from it as well.

This is the second one I dismantled some time ago and used the wood from here
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:10 PM

You're a man of my own heart. I start to shake before I have to throw a piece of stock away. I mean, you never know. Did you forget the bit where he snapped the cap off the ice cold beer and handed it to you and said thanks?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

16-08-2017, 09:14 PM

He is taking us out for a meal next time he meet at his flat or he comes here.
Tomorrow is his birthday (yes I forgot and got told off) but Sue "er indoors" gave him some money to spend on something he might want
This had to get done as next month he starts a new contract with a new company who have head hunted him even in the USA they did where he spent 2 years
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.

16-08-2017, 10:02 PM

Beautiful. This is what being a family is all about.I hope you have a wonderful evening when you can get together
Jiggs
Ontario, Canada
Jiggs is male 

31-08-2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
Beautiful. This is what being a family is all about.I hope you have a wonderful evening when you can get together

Absolutely. Enjoy those moments.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 11:03 AM

When i got my first terraced house, many years ago now, i knew how to do nothing. I learnt to do whatever needed doing by reading books from the library and going to evening classes. Now i'll try anything, although i'm hesitant going up on the roof. It's much easier to learn these days. Go onto Youtube and there's a video showing you how to do, everything and anything.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 12:08 PM

I'm lucky....my daughter lives with her mum so never needs dad for home repairs..... her mum is the total opposite and as she lives a mere 300 yrds from me makes me the local Handyman.

My son is hopeless with DIY....he lives with me so good old dad gets the jobs.

I really hate doing work at home....it costs me money instead of earning it.

@RS...you've done a grand job.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top