Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 07:44 AM

Child Genius

Anyone been watching this, at the start I said to the Wife, this series seems Ok because the kids and the Parents, don't seem that competitive, and no one is going to get upset (especially the kids), well, that didn't last very long, I feel really sorry for some of them, anyway, the kids obliterate me on the memory tests, but I win hands down, on the Mental Arithmetic.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Re: Child Genius

I really dislike this sort of programme, Spitfire. Young children given their 15 minutes of fame then return to the mercy of their classmates!

I was considered a "gifted" child - could read, write and do basic arithmetic at 4 yrs old, had a very high IQ, passed my 11plus a year early etc., Wasn't too bad at Primary school because the teachers encouraged and challenged me without making a fuss about it. I passed every test they set in front of me and became (and still am ) a compulsive learner - because it was interesting and fun.

However things were very different at Grammar school. The Headmistress singled me out on my first day and thereafter the teachers/nuns and fellow pupils were equally cruel in different ways. The teachers/nuns expected me to know everything and held me up to ridecule if I failed. My fellow pupils were jealous of my ability to learn and delighted when the teachers found fault.

My time there was unhappy because I felt isolated and friendless.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:45 AM

I don't like this programme .
It's a bit like a baby show another horrible event involving children .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Exactly, Muddy.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I agree, it is unfair on the child.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Glad Rahul won it, he was immaculately presented on all occasions, and aware of his potential downfall, not sure what he will do with the rest of his life, his cultural background will dictate that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top