Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Re: Today is the day.

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
My mistook....the Muddy posted it...

You're a menace!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 05:42 PM

I know ...
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:13 PM

My main concern is the needless slaughter of birds such as the Hen Harrier. Some farmers breed Red Grouse so that they can be shot. Hen Harriers rely on Red Grouse as a food source.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7062286.html
http://www.ywt.org.uk/about-us/we-de...er-persecution
http://www.rspb.org.uk/join-and-dona...FUVmGwodewkMfg
To show but a few.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 02:14 AM

It's such a hot topic, who is right and who is wrong ? Personally I despair at such sport. Times have moved on from the days of necessity, a long time ago. I hate big game hunting as the only one winning is the provider of the beautiful animal that has been bred and hand reared to then be shot with no escape route.
In the same way I hate shooting of pheasants and grouse and any other bird in the wild. We do no longer need to do this, but at the same time, the methods of killing our factory farm reared produce , and the treatment of them is just as harrowing. Horrendous treatment of pigs and cattle and if many knew and witnessed , they would never forget !
We all carry crosses to bear, who wears leather shoes, and has a leather wallet or purse ? Leather car seats, mahogany furniture ?
Massive mahogany trees felled in the Amazon which is being decimated for the European and UK market, trees that sustain an unbelievable amount of insects that are only found in the Amazon rain forest etc.
Everything is drained and unless cruelty is involved, I suppose we will continue on the same path for quite a lot longer because everyone has a different reason for what they do. Only when we open our eyes and see the horrors of what we are doing and the way we benefit from or don't benefit from, shall we make our own choices.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:18 AM

Much of what you say is very true .
I no longer eat pork as I cannot bear how pigs are treated .
This highly intelligent sentient animal so close to us we use its heart valves to fix ours.if we treated dogs as we treat pigs there would be a national outcry but unlike the Chinese who we condemn we don't eat dogs .
Sometimes I think there will come a time when keeping animals as we do now will be viewed as slavery once was with abhorrence .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This highly intelligent sentient animal so close to us we use its heart valves to fix ours.if we treated dogs as we treat pigs there would be a national outcry but unlike the Chinese who we condemn we don't eat dogs .
Sometimes I think there will come a time when keeping animals as we do now will be viewed as slavery once was with abhorrence .
Fully agree. Here is the latest release today about piggies and all other live stock in factory farms England for slaughter. Just a shame it does not include Wales !! Sorry to go off topic a bit..

100's millions of animals are farmed for food each year in the UK.

Following a manifesto commitment to “make CCTV recording in slaughterhouses mandatory” the UK government has launched a 6-week consultation on the issue. If the proposals, which are for England only, go through Food Standards Agency vets would be given ‘unfettered’ access. The FSA is the agency responsible for monitoring and enforcing welfare standards in slaughterhouses. Our friends at Animal Aid have been campaigning for mandatory CCTV for a number of years and have time and again exposed gratuitous abuse and violations of the law.

Take part in the consultation: https://consult.defra.gov.uk/farm-an...aughterhouses/

Sign up to our campaign alerts to take action for animals: www.ad-international.org/newsletter
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This highly intelligent sentient animal so close to us we use its heart valves to fix ours.if we treated dogs as we treat pigs there would be a national outcry
but unlike the Chinese who we condemn we don't eat dogs .

I heard a bit on the radio the other day about the ethics of rearing pigs for even more organs now.
Some will only be reared for organ transplants.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

17-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I heard a bit on the radio the other day about the ethics of rearing pigs for even more organs now.
Some will only be reared for organ transplants.
They also use them for the training of medics in the forces. Shot,injured, repaired; shot, injured, repaired; shot injured repaired. etc. because they are the closest to human skin and tissue. You probably know that already.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
They also use them for the training of medics in the forces. Shot,injured, repaired; shot, injured, repaired; shot injured repaired. etc. because they are the closest to human skin and tissue. You probably know that already.

Yes, I have seen pics of that.

It is beyond sickening.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-08-2017, 01:51 PM

This was in yesterdays paper:

50 million game birds raised in the UK

20-30 million Pheasants.

3 - 6 m. Red Necked Partridges.

All for shooting.
August the mass slaughter of Grouse started, 1st October they start on the Pheasants.
40% of birds are claimed to be wounded, rather than killed outright.

600,000 people enjoy shooting every year, whether it be live birds or clays.

Helpless game birds are reared in "abominable battery style cages " in preparation for the annual shooting season.

They are imprisoned for months on end to lay eggs, which will hatch into the next generation destined to be shot in September.

Heart of England Farms is one of the major suppliers of eggs and chicks to the UK big shooting estates.
Prices start at 47p per chick, but discounts are available for orders over 10,000!

DEFRA's code says "they must be provided with appropriate space and facilities to ensure the avoidance of stress and to allow the exhibition of normal behaviour patterns."

HUH! How can spending months confined in metal cages, never able to use their wings or breathe fresh air, ever be "exhibiting normal behaviour patterns.
"!

Wildlife presenter Chris Packham said: "This is factory farming on an industrial scale and clearly needs better regulation and enforcement of the existing rules. These birds are not a domestic species, so would be horribly stressed in these appalling crates where, contrary to the guidlines, there is absolutely no natural enrichment at all.
This clearly displays scant regard for these animals' welfare.
They are treated purely as egg laying machines - and all so that their offspring can be shot."

It certainly seems that way.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top