Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Re: Who Takes What?

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Audrey - have you tried taking home-made yoghurt instead of calcium? 24 hour yoghurt (or Kefir) is excellent
I disagree... Calcium is calcium.. whether it's from yogurt or from a pill, it is STILL element symbol CA with an atomic number of 20. That is what the "natural experts" fail to realize. Our bodies do NOT distinguish between CA from a suppliment or CA from yogurt. The problem with the yogurt eating thing is you get lots of other things.. like calories from sugar.. and fat.. that you may NOT really need. Also, a cup of Yogurt only contains about 30% of the minimum calcium requirements per day. Nothing wrong with eating it in addition, but to be safe.... I will stick with my suppliment as you can safely consume up to 2500 mg of calcium per day.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
There are far too many things which conflict with my medications - I can't touch vitamin supplements. F'r instance - Vitamin 'K' - this has the obverse effect of the Warfarin I've been prescribed to thin my blood.
Yes works other way round also I would bleed to death if I took warfarin and need the vitamin K to survive.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I disagree... Calcium is calcium.. whether it's from yogurt or from a pill, it is STILL element symbol CA with an atomic number of 20. That is what the "natural experts" fail to realize. Our bodies do NOT distinguish between CA from a suppliment or CA from yogurt. The problem with the yogurt eating thing is you get lots of other things.. like calories from sugar.. and fat.. that you may NOT really need. Also, a cup of Yogurt only contains about 30% of the minimum calcium requirements per day. Nothing wrong with eating it in addition, but to be safe.... I will stick with my suppliment as you can safely consume up to 2500 mg of calcium per day.
We will have to agree to disagree Audrey.

With foods you get a more complete package - not only do you get various vitamins and minerals, but you get enzymes (and sometimes microbes) that help you break down and assimilate them.

Each to their own I guess
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:39 PM

I don't take any supplements. I am a firm believer in a good varied diet , lots of fresh food and a minimum of processed food and additives. This should provide all you need..

I think many vitamins and minerals work together and in order to get the maximum benefit from them all you need to eat the whole food not try to get them in supplement form.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Too much of a particular vitamin is toxic & some people may think more is better. Also if you're eating that vitamin as well.

I find the high dose of calcium pills like horse pills (choke, cough)!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't take any supplements. I am a firm believer in a good diet , lots of fresh food and a minimum of processed food and additives.

I think many vitamins and minerals work together and in order to get the maximum benefit from them all you need the whole food.

I agree... and everyone should eat healthy. BUT sometimes you cannot get your recommended amount of vitiamins and minerals from diet. Supplements are an insurance policy.. provided you are sensible in your intake, and do not eat crap and expect your pills to make you healthy.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:47 PM

No vitamin supplements for me.....a healthy balanced diet takes care of everything for me.
AudreyII
USA

18-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Hopefully that's true Pats. I'm having my vitamin D levels checked this week.. just to see if my diet and supplement are adequate. Last time I was just barely in the theraputic range.. I may have to tweek the number of units I take. I'm 65 and do NOT have osteoporosis.. so I guess I have been doing something right. Better calcium and vitamin D supplements than Fosamax..or worse yet.. a hip fracture.
sandra
Bristol
sandra is female  sandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Audrey - have you tried taking home-made yoghurt instead of calcium? 24 hour yoghurt (or Kefir) is excellent
I was taking calcium for ages ...till I found out it can stop the absorbtion of thyroxine...which I have to take for life..so switched to yogourt...hope that is ok
Barryibiza
New Member!
Ibiza Spain
Barryibiza is male 

29-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Agreed Meg, Whole food, no processed or for that matter animal protien is the way to go. Barryibiza.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top