Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:03 PM

New harry potter

Apparently jk Rowling is co writing a new harry potter story
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Re: New harry potter

I read a chapter or two of a HP story once many years ago and thought it was very poor in all respects.
I could not believe how popular it became and was reminded of the story of 'The King's New Clothes' where no one could say that it was a hoax without suffering the possible consequences of the ridicule and isolation by their peers.
I am still of the opinion that the whole HP bandwagon is a big con and the stories are just badly written rubbish.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:37 PM

OMG - Isn't she rich enough already?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:42 PM

I disagree Malcolm, but don't let that bother you!

If you enjoy a good murder/detective yarn you might like to try her series of three books centred around the army veteran detective Cormoran Strike. She writes under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.
The first one is The Cuckoo's Calling, then comes The Silkworm, and the third is Career of Evil.
They're all cracking.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

If you enjoy a good murder/detective yarn you might like to try her series of three books centred around the army veteran detective Cormoran Strike. She writes under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.
The first one is The Cuckoo's Calling, then comes The Silkworm, and the third is Career of Evil.
They're all cracking.
I might give them a try thanks ...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:48 AM

I thought the Harry Potter phenomenon was brilliant. Rowling single-handedly managed to get a whole generation of youngsters reading for pleasure which is a magnificent achievement in these days of technological frippery and diversions. For me, J.K. Rowling is on the list of excellent writers who get put down by critics and highbrows simply because they are popular - Steven King is the biggest and best example. I'd rather read King and Rowling than the turgid Jane Austen or Tolkien any day of the week.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

They're all cracking.
Thanks ruthio...I'll look out for 'em
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I thought the Harry Potter phenomenon was brilliant. Rowling single-handedly managed to get a whole generation of youngsters reading for pleasure which is a magnificent achievement in these days of technological frippery and diversions. For me, J.K. Rowling is on the list of excellent writers who get put down by critics and highbrows simply because they are popular - Steven King is the biggest and best example. I'd rather read King and Rowling than the turgid Jane Austen or Tolkien any day of the week.
The only thing is Steven King is so frightening .
After reading The Shinning I could barely go upstairs !
And I never think of clowns as anything but sinister .
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I read a chapter or two of a HP story once many years ago and thought it was very poor in all respects.
I could not believe how popular it became and was reminded of the story of 'The King's New Clothes' where no one could say that it was a hoax without suffering the possible consequences of the ridicule and isolation by their peers.
I am still of the opinion that the whole HP bandwagon is a big con and the stories are just badly written rubbish.
I agree with you, Malcolm, a load of old codswallop!! Made her a very wealthy woman but tripe, nonetheless. IMO..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 09:33 PM

I agree with you Malcolm, being a big old kid meself I love most of the big kids stuff and watched many such films with my two grandsons when the were younger, but I could never get to like the Harry Potter stories, hard as I tried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top