Join for free
Page 287 of 1676 « First < 187 237 277 285 286 287 288 289 297 337 387 787 1287 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:49 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

lovely song Jem - they don't write them like that anyway be gorrah I can just hear the roaring tones of it in an Irish pub full of guiness ! ah I remember me days in Irish pubs - I staggered in and I staggered out and as I went down there was always a shout - get up ya drunken engishman get up and fight again we know the bar keeps moving but ya can always come 'round agin!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:50 PM

I went to my local Garden Centre last week, in search of an atmospheric statue, to enhance the ambience, of a shady corner of the garden. I came across a large oriental looking fellow, sitting crossed legged, it looked like real stone, but was made of resin, and looked majestic, being wheeled across the car park on a trolley to the car. I raised the hatchback, and started to manoeuvre it into the boot, a kind young assistant chappie said “would you like a hand with that sir”, I said thank you but that won’t be necessary “it ain’t heavy he’s my Buddha”
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:16 PM

"He's my Buddha" I got a pair of small ones on the mantlepiece made in blue China, I call them "The Blues Buddhas"
Have any of you fellas tried the new Mighty Adhesive Putty, it’s supposed to repair anything from leaking pipes to sticking broken cup handles back on, the greatest thing since sliced bread, and when it’s set you can drill it, file it, sand it, and paint it.
I got three sticks of the stuff cheap from China, nearly 16 euros on Amazon, I got the same stuff for 5 euros post free, God bless the Chinese so courteous and helpful.
Now I have to look for something to fix so I can try it out. The wife has this life sized ugly ceramic cat she got from her sister Maisie last year, I hate the way the bloody thing looks at me, might accidentally knock it over. “Not to worry dear, I got a stick of mighty putty here”

I found a video on how to use the stuff properly, good video but I had to laugh at what some clown wrote underneath.

“I don't like to read instructions. Long story short…. I ate 3 sticks of this stuff and now my butthole doesn't work. How do I get this out of me and what is your return policy?
P.S. please make new flavors.”

Thanks for the laugh mate whoever you are.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Here's the stuff.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	91HJ3iZLlVL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	3713  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 07:40 AM

You should never consume that stuff, it is rumoured homeless folk are force fed that stuff, in the "Truncheon Factory", for half the living wage.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

18-08-2017, 09:24 PM

A very interesting program on BBC4 the other night about the human brain. They enlisted the help of a convent of nuns in a long term experiment, the nuns involved were old nuns and they kept a record of all the things they did during the day, when they eventually died they left their brains to the university doing the experiment.
When the brains were dissected (it was like looking at a cauliflower being sliced up into strips) they found that most of the nuns all had full blown alzheimer’s but had behaved normally when the were alive, the experts were stunned, how was this possible? It appears that the nuns were learning new technology with smart phones and computers as well as teaching pupils during the course of their day, and playing chess and computer games in their leisure time keeping the brain working all the time, it seems when the brain has something new to learn it picks up again, fascinating. So if you continually find new things to do your chances of going ga ga get slimmer, that’s where having a wife comes in handy, they will always find something new for you to do, like it or not.
I’ve always thought that when you get old it’s best to keep your mind busy, watching that program confirms my thoughts. Now where did I leave me pipe and tobacco?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

18-08-2017, 10:08 PM

I have found, interacting with one or two "Blue Nuns", and "Defrocking" a couple of "Lady" Vicars, is, just another day at the Office.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
A very interesting program on BBC4 the other night about the human brain. They enlisted the help of a convent of nuns in a long term experiment, the nuns involved were old nuns and they kept a record of all the things they did during the day, when they eventually died they left their brains to the university doing the experiment.
When the brains were dissected (it was like looking at a cauliflower being sliced up into strips) they found that most of the nuns all had full blown alzheimer’s but had behaved normally when the were alive, the experts were stunned, how was this possible? It appears that the nuns were learning new technology with smart phones and computers as well as teaching pupils during the course of their day, and playing chess and computer games in their leisure time keeping the brain working all the time, it seems when the brain has something new to learn it picks up again, fascinating. So if you continually find new things to do your chances of going ga ga get slimmer, that’s where having a wife comes in handy, they will always find something new for you to do, like it or not.
I’ve always thought that when you get old it’s best to keep your mind busy, watching that program confirms my thoughts. Now where did I leave me pipe and tobacco?
1, who enlisted the nuns???
2. How long was the experiment - as long as a piece of string??
3. HOW old were the nuns???
4. where did they leave their brains exactly??
5. define normal behavior for a nun??

what appears to be so has been found to be false many times - researchers have been known to cheat you know just to prove a point.

this is what really happened!

1. get up at 4am and pray in your room
2. Go to chapel and sing matins'
3.Go to breakfast room and eat breakfast silently
4. Go back to own room and pray again
5. Go to kitchen and work
6. Go to garden and dig
7. back to breakfast room for lunch
8. walk around garden many times
9. back to breakfast room for dinner
10.back to chapel for evensong
11. back to room to pray then sleep

I saw it all on call the midwife - of course they all appeared normal they live like mice in a cage - even with alzheimers you can do it!!

moral of story : beware of gentlemen in white coats slicing up cauliflowers they often lose the plot!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-08-2017, 09:41 AM

It's strange, I can run a mile in 8 mins, but I can hop a mile in 7, I think I may have Athlete's Foot.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Well summed up Gummy, but dem was the old fashioned nuns. Todays nun is a different kettle of fish altogether, very few wear habits, far less time is devoted to prayer, most are paid for by the government as teachers and social workers, even nurses. Most nuns are old now as the young girls are not signing up anymore, they will eventually all die off, same with priests and vicars, lack of recruits, christian religion will either change dramatically or die off altogether.
Gone are the days of the little sisters of the poor mouth, as they were often referred to when calling to collect donations.

Tried “Blue Nuns” wine Spitty and didn’t like it. Being a catholic old lad I wouldn’t know anything about Vicars or their ladies.
I see there was a late film on the Horror channel last night called “Nude Nuns with Big Guns” big calibre Canons and Vicars sub machine guns.
You had Vicars and British Small Arms, back in the 1950’s when we were kids the adults would say BSA when referring to piles “Your walking funny again Nora” “Oh I know Rita, it’s the BSA again” it took me a while to figure out BSA meant big sore arse.
I fired a vicars sub machine gun and threw one hand grenade when I was in the reserve forces, didn’t matter how long you spent in the reserve, only one hand grenade per person per life time, and you also had to sign for it, all they were short of doing was making you bring back the bits. I don’t know how John Wayne managed to get the pins out of the grenades with his teeth, they’re made of sturdy steel and bent over at the ends, I was only a little fella of 15 then, I had to put the thing between me legs and pull with all my might before I got it out, with only seven seconds left after that I didn’t care where I threw it as long it was far away from me, no I was never cut out to be an army man, maybe a nun?

Page 287 of 1676 « First < 187 237 277 285 286 287 288 289 297 337 387 787 1287 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top