Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:22 AM

Re: My beautiful Agapanthus

We've only got one of the blue ones, we haven't grown them before but it's doing so well and we've just created a new flower bed so we are going to invest in a couple more. Your look breathtaking absolutely lovely.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:38 AM

Agapanthus are spectacular, according to Monty Don they are best grown in pots as the more their roots are constricted the better they flower.
They thrive on neglect apparently.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:54 AM

You are all so lucky to be able to grow these spectacular plants. I don"t seem to have any luck.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:55 AM

I bought two in the garden centre last year they were spectacular, not a sign of then this year that often happens with me, I don't have the greenest fingers. Yours are lovely Mups.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 11:31 AM

I did put mine, in its pot, in the shed over winter, just green leaves until June but has flowered ever since.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
Agapanthus are spectacular, according to Monty Don they are best grown in pots as the more their roots are constricted the better they flower.
They thrive on neglect apparently.
Mine is in a pot, and the roots are very well constricted. It had only one flower last year and none this year. So not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm very disappointed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 12:01 PM

That's a shame puddles.
I think where some people go wrong is taking Monty too literally.
I would say they like their roots 'snug,' rather than tightly constricted so much they can't grow new roots.
When mine get too constricted and have no more growing space, I tip them out the tubs and split them, making more plants. That also gives me the chance to check the roots for health.

I replace the top couple of inches of soil in their tubs every spring with fresh compost and feed. Then feed every 2 or 3 weeks with either a liquid general purpose or a tomato feed throughout the growing season.

They also need winter protection, but not kept overly warm, else they won't flower next year.

I would try tipping yours out and giving it fresh compost - about half and half mixture of John Innes No.3 and multi purpose - and check the roots for any unwanted livestock eating them.

Here is some advice from the expert himself, a Mr. Hickman - breeder and show judge. :

"All Agapanthus grown in containers are best given some protection in the winter, a cold glass house, conservatory or cold frame is ideal. Plants can also be placed next to the house wall well wrapped in fleece. Water the plants well mid-November and give very little water until early March. Evergreen varieties need light through the winter and can also be put in a garage or shed near the window for protection. Deciduous varieties can be kept under a bench in the glasshouse or anywhere in a shed/garage as light is unimportant until early spring when grown commences.

Agapanthus grow well in a sunny position, although partial shade a few hours a day has no detrimental effect. They are not sensitive to acid or alkaline soils.

Agapanthus do grow well in containers but they need a well-drained compost, so always add 1-part horticultural grit or sand to your compost. John Innes No.3 is ideal and gives stability. Remember to water regularly and feed with a high potash feed every 2-3 weeks April to September.

Agapanthus do not suffer from any major pests or diseases, slugs, snails, rabbits, deer & weevils do not trouble Agapanthus. Occasional mealy bug can be a problem, but a systemic insecticide normally offers a quick cure for these.

Agapanthus are easy to propagate by division to obtain plants identical to the parent plant, this is best done between spring and early summer. Avoid splitting plants too often as this will reduce flowering. Large clumps in the border should be lifted in spring every 4 - 6 years and replanted. Plants in containers should be potted on every 2nd year. Pot into a containers 10cm (4") larger for a further 2 years. Once the plant fills a 30-40cm (12-15") pot it can be split into 4. Pot the divisions back into individual smaller pots and start the process again. When plants are in large pots i.e. 60cm (24") they can be left for years until the number of flowers declines".
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 04:25 PM

Mups do you cut your agapanthus back after flowering at all? I have always left mine which sometimes results in some soggy leaves from the winter temperatures. I do mulch around then which helps to protect but still end up with affected leaves.

I'd be interested to know what you do during the winter months
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 05:57 PM

Hello Mags, first I cut each flower stem off once it has finished flowering.
I will stop feeding now we are in Sept., but will still water while the weather is still nice.
When it starts getting really cold, I gather the leaves up into a sort of 'bunch' and tie them loosely with string to help protect the centre of the plant against frost getting in.
Then when they are tied up, I spread a deep layer of bark chippings all over the soil to protect roots near the surface from frost, and move the pots near a fence or somewhere sheltered.

If it gets severely frosty, or frosts that go on and on, I pop a fleece bag over the whole plant - pot and all, but put a couple of appropriate length canes down the edge of the pot first to support the fleece as you don't really want it wet then freezing and laying in contact with the leaves.

I know it sounds a bit fiddly, but I can only say what I do each winter, and - touch wood - I have never lost one yet.

Next spring, scrape off the wood chips, untie them, snip off any slimy stems (there is always some), change the top 3" of old compost for fresh compost, and start feeding and watering again.
This is also the time to divide them if they are too root bound, but don't divide them every year else they may not flower for a year or two.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 06:38 PM

I've just had a look at these blooms. They're spectacular. I'll have to get Mrs K to start thinking about some for her flower garden.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top