Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Re: Fodmaps

Yes that's it we want to be affected, you do say some silly things Malcolm. Even when the people manufacturing the items tell you they are likely to cause a problem you prefer if think it's fussy eaters.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes that's it we want to be affected, you do say some silly things Malcolm. Even when the people manufacturing the items tell you they are likely to cause a problem you prefer if think it's fussy eaters.
Not 'fussy eaters' Julie......much worse that that !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:35 AM

If you say so Malcolm, personally I'm going to carry on avoiding things that are bad for me I value life at the moment, although suicide by strawberry or Apple does appeal if I decide enough is enough one day.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 01:34 PM

I have learnt to cure myself of over sweet foods and such. I do use sweeteners in tea, coffee, and my porridge. But just 1 in each.
Whilst on the subject of what and what not is good for one.
I recently have got the taste for yogurt. I have been trying lots of different flavoured ones.
Is yogurt a food or a nosh?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-11-2016, 01:37 PM

We are big yogurt fans my husband makes it himself, couple of litres every two days ! No artificial flavours or sweeteners, just a tiny bit of honey or everyone else has fruit in theirs. Breakfast, pudding after lunch, tea time treat. Snack ! It's yum.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 01:58 PM

BIL is on a Fodmap diet for his diverticulitis...
Just saying...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
BIL is on a Fodmap diet for his diverticulitis...
Just saying...
Is it helping tessA ? I hope it is.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have learnt to cure myself of over sweet foods and such. I do use sweeteners in tea, coffee, and my porridge. But just 1 in each.
Sweeteners are more dangerous than sugar imo. They may well increase your likelihood of cancer and other problems.
I went the same way many years ago. Wanted to cut sugar in tea/coffee and switched over to Hermacetas. Then got clued up on sweeteners and cut those out completely. This at the infancy of my understanding of the War On People's Health. The thought of drinking tea/coffee without any sweetener was horrid to me at that time. However, I switched to green teas and some fruit teas which you drink without milk or sugar. The fruits teas are often sugar loaded anyway so beware.

After 2 -3 weeks of drinking these I was desperate for the caffeine and tase of my good old crappy cup of tea bag tea. So I made one, without any sugar or sweeteners and what do you know? It tasted just fine. So the moral is, you CAN quite easily wean yourself of sweeteners in tea/coffee and those drinks do taste just fine without them esp Lattes !
So my advice is go the whole hog and get yourself there, maybe temporarily depriving yourself of normal tea for a while as I did. You will lose weight in making that simple change too, but that should be seen as a by-product rather than the objective.

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Whilst on the subject of what and what not is good for one.
I recently have got the taste for yogurt. I have been trying lots of different flavoured ones. Is yogurt a food or a nosh?
As with ALL foods Emjay there is no straight answer and the more important thing is to recognise the need to properly assess any food you intend to eat. We can no longer make generalisations like "tea is good for you" because what is meant by "tea"? Is it tea bags, tea leaves. Japanese Sencha tea? Same goes for yoghurt.

One reason you might have acquired a taste for yoghurt is because it usually contains a ton of sugar. Hence that old addiction you have tried to kick has found stealthy ways to get back into your life. Any time you think you've acquired a taste for something, go check out the levels of sugars and sweeteners.

Take a look at this and open your eyes to how many teaspoonfuls of sugars are in yoghurts !!!

Blimey ! Almost 9 teaspoons of sugar in plain low-fat natural yoghurt, a product most think should be a healthy food.

The problem is HOW you take in your sugars. We need to eat lots of fibre when we eat sugar to ensure that the sugars are metabolised slowly over many hours so the body has time to use the energy in your daily activities. Eat sugar without fibre and the energy is metabolised instantly and since the body has no use for it, its stored away as fat.

A large apple contains 4-5 teaspoonfuls of sugars but it's ok because the rest of the apple has a ton of fibre.
A carton of apple juice on the other hand is just a carton of sugars with bugger all fibre.

I will put up just one more picture to highlight these products.

Just lols at the 1L of apple juice containing some 22 teaspoons of sugar and less than 0.5g of fibre. How can such a harmful product be sold on supermarket shelves?

Because we are in the midst of a food and health war which seeks to maximise profits at the expense of your health. It make £billions from selling you the harmful products under the guise of them being healthy, and it makes £billions later from the drugs, potions, pills and treatments when you become ill.

Hope you manage to kick all sweeteners from your drinks.

Good luck
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Is it helping tessA ? I hope it is.
He seems to think so, but a bit boring!
I looked at it but, some of the things on it upset me. My tum is so fussy since the great tummy trouble ended.!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Modern man is ingesting far, far more sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, preservatives, alcohol, fats etc etc etc etc than at any time in human history.
And living far longer.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top