Join for free
Biomechanist60s
New Member!
Oxfordshire
Biomechanist60s is male 

06-02-2017, 01:50 PM

The secret of cast iron safe, fitness activity

I assessed a personal trainer last week ( I've assessed 2,648 since 2002)and asked her why, her exercise prescription and recommendations for three different people male and female ( all three in their late 50s) were almost exactly the same. She had no answer.

I then asked her if she'd fully tested her clients and discovered( yet again) that she didn't actually know how; and ...she was a 'fully qualified' personal trainer.

When you guys and gals are out there ... doing whatever you're doing to keep fit and healthy, ALWAYS,( if you're working one to one with a trainer, regardless whether it's gym, Yoga or Pilates etc) make sure you get your body properly tested before exercising, otherwise you won't be getting personal training/attention only supervised exercise. Proper testing, always takes over an hour, so please make sure this gets sorted.

This is a totally non negotiable precaution, as without the testing and then working within your results, you could be doing exercise that 's actually subtly damaging you bit by bit, and you'll never know it until it builds up to where you DO know about it ... big time, so stay safe people.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Re: The secret of cast iron safe, fitness activity

Hello Bio and welcome...Thanks for this excellent advice.
Speaking as someone who's been seriously considering a PT (but not just yet!) the cautionary advice is much appreciated.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 02:42 PM

I thought a medical report was a legal requirement before joining a keep fit club. Also check out the clubs insurance policy as well to see that you are covered should private medical treatment be needed
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Theres a new fitness place across the road from us and they have people swinging kettle weights with outstretched arms, up above head height and then swing down through their legs. I'm waiting for the amubulance when someone seriously damages their back.
Biomechanist60s
New Member!
Oxfordshire
Biomechanist60s is male 

06-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Hello Ruthio

I gave this interview in 2009,( see the link) but nothing at all has been done since ... to make personal trainers safer or even moderately knowledgeable enough.

Now you can be an office manager with no experience at all of exercise and the human body. On a Monday, you can then do a 5 day gym instructor course and easily pass the one hour exam. Hey presto, on the following Monday, you are now a 'fully qualified' gym instructor who can work anywhere in the UK, fully sanctioned... but it gets even scarier.

After only 30 hours of then working in a gym, this 'experience' renders you eligible to get the 'GP Referral Accreditation' certificate.

This is a two day course !!! .. after which you are once again, nationally recognised and fully sanctioned to accept referrals of clinically vulnerable people from GP practices!

So just two weeks after no experience or knowledge at all, the accreditation system can render you recognised to work with all manner of folk from GP practices. Absolutely true; that's how precarious its become, so do click on this link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...structors.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Hi

I find having the pretend grandkids here exercise enough.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top