Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Re: Real books vs e books?

Ditto Cee, I have books on my Kindle all the time, invaluable when you're going away or a train journey, but I'll buy a real book when I can and often order from the library.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 09:20 AM

I am in Spain at the present time. I have my kindle and a good supply of books on it that I have downloaded whilst at home. Free of course from Amazon.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:22 AM

I use BookBub for my download books. They send me a list of offers weekly, some free others circa 90p. I read reviews on the books on Amazon before I download.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:10 PM

As quite a voracious reader, when storage became increasingly difficult & when it started to get increasingly difficult to find decent books in local charity shops and car boot sales AND they started putting prices up (I mean, above a pound a book? Really?) I bought my first ereader. A Kobo which lasted me a few years until eyesight etc. lead me to a Nook Glo - which again I kept until I found another Kobo, preferring their software.
This time a larger-screened H20 so a bigger screen and it's waterproof, so I can read in the bath (I should be so lucky) or by the pool on holiday. The battery life is great & it has a slot for a memory card which is great for my needs because like Emjay, I like my books to be free wherever possible.

I still have a few "emergency" physical books but I can still have two or three books on the go at once on my ereader so they suit my needs just fine - something that even five years ago I would never have imagined.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Ohh give me real books anytime!
Theres nothing like the feel and smell of paperback/hardback books..I have loads just waiting for me to read,I like to keep a store ready to choose from..most are picked up for pennies from bootsales then after ive read them I pass them onto the charity shop or anywhere that wants books.

Im not against kindles or e readers its just that theyre not for me..I used to have a tablet with the kindle app on it and enjoyed reading a small selection of books on it ,but still sold the tablet and carried on with paper books
I really hope the world will never be without paper books
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
As quite a voracious reader, when storage became increasingly difficult & when it started to get increasingly difficult to find decent books in local charity shops and car boot sales AND they started putting prices up (I mean, above a pound a book? Really?) I bought my first ereader. A Kobo which lasted me a few years until eyesight etc. lead me to a Nook Glo - which again I kept until I found another Kobo, preferring their software.
This time a larger-screened H20 so a bigger screen and it's waterproof, so I can read in the bath (I should be so lucky) or by the pool on holiday. The battery life is great & it has a slot for a memory card which is great for my needs because like Emjay, I like my books to be free wherever possible.

I still have a few "emergency" physical books but I can still have two or three books on the go at once on my ereader so they suit my needs just fine - something that even five years ago I would never have imagined.
I use my kindle in bed, but I am thinking of upgrading to a Kindle Fire. I have the Kindle App on my IPad which I like for the larger screen.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Ohh give me real books anytime!
Theres nothing like the feel and smell of paperback/hardback books..I have loads just waiting for me to read,I like to keep a store ready to choose from..most are picked up for pennies from bootsales then after ive read them I pass them onto the charity shop or anywhere that wants books.

Im not against kindles or e readers its just that theyre not for me..I used to have a tablet with the kindle app on it and enjoyed reading a small selection of books on it ,but still sold the tablet and carried on with paper books
I really hope the world will never be without paper books
What happens when they run out of trees?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
What happens when they run out of trees?
Emjay we can just keep all the books we have in circulation now..it will be several years worth of reading till we run out
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

28-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Emjay we can just keep all the books we have in circulation now..it will be several years worth of reading till we run out
Yes but,,, even paper books get worn out. And before you say batteries don't last for ever, they can be changed. Also I have a kindle paperwhite, an old kindle keypad, kindle fire, iPad, another tablet, and they all have kindle reader on. AND they all seem to have all the books that I have downloaded into cloud.
Ain't this technology wonderful. 📱
Problem is.... I don't get much time to read. 🤡🤡🤡🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️👨🏻*💻
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

28-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Yes but,,, even paper books get worn out. And before you say batteries don't last for ever, they can be changed. Also I have a kindle paperwhite, an old kindle keypad, kindle fire, iPad, another tablet, and they all have kindle reader on. AND they all seem to have all the books that I have downloaded into cloud.
Ain't this technology wonderful. 📱
Problem is.... I don't get much time to read. 🤡🤡🤡🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️👨🏻*💻
...tech is wonderful to a point Emjay

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top