Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 12:16 AM

Stephen Hawking - we have 100 years

According to Stephen Hawking we should forget our differences and find a way off this planet as we only have 100 years until our own extinction.

Project Fear or grim reality? :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7722181.html
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 12:57 AM

Re: Stephen Hawking - we have 100 years

A bit of both maybe.

More grim reality about us turning in on ourselves, but I doubt going to another planet is the answer. Is human life so important ? Would it matter if we became extinct ? We don't really do much other than destroy the natural world around us and this planet, why move on to do the same elsewhere ?

Certain species are controlled by man, culled and slaughtered I somehow feel that man can also use such methods against their own when needs be, to keep a population down. ..and they will.

100 yrs ago, world population was 1.5 billion, now it's 7.5 billion, an estimated 11.2 billion by 2100....... the answer is in the numbers but I doubt many will get to the higher planets. Those left behind will be allowed to die off if that was the case. No further use until the little green men arrive and discover planet earth ! That should keep them busy and scratching their heads for a long, long, time.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 06:56 AM

I dont care, I wont be here and nor will any of the family I know about.
Im more worried about what happens in the next 1 , 3 or 10 years than 100 years down the line!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:11 AM

I think he isn't being entirely candid. We have the possibility of World War 3 long before a 100 years pass. I think he is being quite generous in his time scale. WW3 shouldn't wipe us out entirely if it takes place relatively soon but will set back any plans for colonizing space indefinitely as it will take a combined effort to do so - combined as in the sharing of all sorts of resources from many nations but after war involving nukes a great deal of this planet will no longer be habitable.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:12 AM

I think he's the most boring man on the planet .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:27 AM

I doubt he has the time scale right it's going to happen much sooner IMO we are just one animal on the planet our turn for extinction soon I believe. It's just how it happens I worry about but I'm not losing sleep over it just hoping the next top animal on the planet do a better job of it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:32 AM

The problem with trying to predict the future is that something major happens and screws it all up [the prediction I mean not the future] Predictions are made by taking into consideration what we know now and trying to figure out 'What happens Next' One hundred years ago who could have predicted that we would be climbing aboard an aircraft and zooming to the other side of the world. Or how the world would change after the digital revolution.

Many people have claimed to have predicted the future, and apart from dead certainties they were all wrong.

But in Stephan's favour, have we really understood what he meant? Reading his theories in a newspaper is a second hand explanation, what have they excluded or added? You only tend to get half the story second hand.....
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think he's the most boring man on the planet .
Yep I go along with that statement, wish this doom & gloom merchant would keep his trap shut...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:18 PM

I supose life is so dreadful for him all he can do is think with his incredible brain .
It's must be horrendous .
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Oh, i don`t know. There could be something in it. He might well be aware of something which the rest of us just haven`t perceived....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top