Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Being old is boring

Feeling relaxed and thinking back to all the pastimes I used to love. Even thought about trying a few out once again but I know they will no longer be suitable owing to a change of attitude regarding certain aspects of them. Take fishing for example …

I used to love going fishing. I would spend all day at the seaside in all sorts of weather reveling in all the gory details. The twitch of the rod when I came would make it all worth while. Now though I know for a fact being older has spoiled it for me. For one thing I care for living creatures far too much now to even put worms on the hook without feeling remorseful. The thought of sticking a hook in the mouth of another when there is no need to do so but for selfish sporting reasons again assails my sensibilities. What about guns and hunting?

I was obsessed with air guns. I had loads and I tuned a few to achieve quite alarming projectile speeds. I was also a damn good shot. The number of birds I sent to their birdie graves doesn't bear thinking about. I used to revel in it and would spend hours waiting for a particular prey to show. Now though? I can hear the sound of the pellet hitting home at times and the thud of a dead bird of my feet. It doesn't make me feel at all comfortable, let's put it that way.

So, all in all becoming older is undoubtedly a recipe for a life of doing sod all bar for pottering around in the garden where nothing is overly disturbed. Is this wisdom or something far more insidious?

PS: this is NOT about me and my bleeding hobbies ... sheesh.

This is about ...

The point of this post is about the changes we undergo as we become older and what are they for? Why do people change their attitude to various things? What are the reasons behind it all? Is this wisdom taking shape?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Re: Being old is boring

You need some more hobbies Mark. Nothing wrong with gardening as one but you need something else too. My husband has just started rambling with like minded people he met on line. He's enjoying that very much.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 02:53 PM

My parents and in-laws never led boring lives.

When they retired it was pub lunches, holidays, days out, painting, photography etc.

Ill health was the only thing that intervened, but that is almost inevitable. I mean unless you suddenly keel over and snuffit, or commit suicide, ultimately, disease of some kind will 'do for you'
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You need some more hobbies Mark. Nothing wrong with gardening as one but you need something else too. My husband has just started rambling with like minded people he met on line. He's enjoying that very much.
You are missing the point which are the changes we undergo as we become older.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
My parents and in-laws never led boring lives.

Ill health was the only thing that intervened, but that is almost inevitable. I mean unless you suddenly keel over and snuffit, or commit suicide, ultimately, disease of some kind will 'do for you'
You are missing the point too - see above.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
You are missing the point too - see above.
'So, all in all becoming older is undoubtedly a recipe for a life of doing sod all bar for pottering around in the garden where nothing is overly disturbed. Is this wisdom or something far more insidious?'

That's what I was replying to

IPad doesn't c/p too well and I couldn't spend half an hour trying to do it
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 02:57 PM

For god's sakes Mark get out there and DO something, anything, other than this constant navel gazing.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
For god's sakes Mark get out there and DO something, anything, other than this constant navel gazing.
Why? I happen to think the changes we go through are interesting.

Now please all try and stay on topic.

Try harder.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Feeling relaxed and thinking back to all the pastimes I used to love. Even thought about trying a few out once again but I know they will no longer be suitable owing to a change of attitude regarding certain aspects of them. Take fishing for example …

I used to love going fishing. I would spend all day at the seaside in all sorts of weather reveling in all the gory details. The twitch of the rod when I came would make it all worth while. Now though I know for a fact being older has spoiled it for me. For one thing I care for living creatures far too much now to even put worms on the hook without feeling remorseful. The thought of sticking a hook in the mouth of another when there is no need to do so but for selfish sporting reasons again assails my sensibilities. What about guns and hunting?

I was obsessed with air guns. I had loads and I tuned a few to achieve quite alarming projectile speeds. I was also a damn good shot. The number of birds I sent to their birdie graves doesn't bear thinking about. I used to revel in it and would spend hours waiting for a particular prey to show. Now though? I can hear the sound of the pellet hitting home at times and the thud of a dead bird of my feet. It doesn't make me feel at all comfortable, lets put it that way.

So, all in all becoming older is undoubtedly a recipe for a life of doing sod all bar for pottering around in the garden where nothing is overly disturbed. Is this wisdom or something far more insidious?

PS: this is NOT about me and my bleeding hobbies ... sheesh.

Come on ... where's the missing apostrophe?

You CAN do it

Relaxed?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Come on ... where's the missing apostrophe?

You CAN do it
Well, it isn't on 'birdie' or let - at least I don't think so.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top