Join for free
Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Re: Self-defence for the older person

Originally Posted by summer ->
Just a minute whilst I get out my tube of Deep Heat so I can put some on my thumb and stick it in your eye....on second thoughts here take my handbag whilst I run in the opposite direction

Not brave but I'm not after a medal
Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Spray can, dear lady. This is the 21st Century.
Are we allowed to use spray cans?

Probably get arrested because it wasn't a spray pump

Fumble in bag, find pump/spray, remove the top and try to find which direction to point it in .... assuming it's daylight.

hmmmmmmm .... possibly not
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

Fumble in bag, find pump/spray, remove the top and try to find which direction to point it in .... assuming it's daylight.

Be prepared: hold it ready in your hand.

Then, of course, there's the other option: Llap Goch.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I never had to physically defend myself. In all my life I've only been threatened twice, and both times I managed to calm down the person threatening me. Don't ask me how I did that. I don't even know.
Been there and yes we just do it some how. Failing that-run..........or the elbow,kidney punch etc.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

People who use Mace have no troubles. Best to keep it in your hand, hiding your hand inside a pocket, out of sight but nice and handy. It's not rocket science.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:54 PM

Actually, sort of at a slight tangent to self defence but interesting... Part of my job involves training in restraint techniques and the courses to train people are just as unrealistic as standard civilian self-defence training. A colleague of mine, who thinks as I do, voiced this at one of the courses and was assured by the instructor that the techniques worked. My colleague told the instructor to have a go, but to have people on hand to help him because he wasn't going to just stand there - he was going to actually resist.

It finally took the instructor and FOUR other people to get him on the ground, much to the instructor's embarrassment. Rehearsing nice, slow techniques on someone who isn't in a rage and who isn't wanting to rip you up as much as possible is worse than useless. In reality, in a real situation the adrenalin-fuelled person attacking you will come at you unexpectedly from a direction you aren't looking in and will get in close, biting anything they can reach, scratching, head-butting and pulling out chunks of hair. They want to do maximum damage, and the training doesn't reflect this.
Jiggs
Ontario, Canada
Jiggs is male 

30-08-2017, 03:24 AM

In my previous career I was a LEO for 35 yrs. 35 yrs of self defense, training & relying on that training to stay alive. Towards the end I was fighting with people 38 yrs younger than me. (One of the reasons I packed it in)

To even the fight besides having our self defense (that I practised regularly in addition to a fitness program) we of course had pepper spray, metal batons, trasers (they came after I retired) and our service weapons. Even considering all of this there were times that even this didn't seem to be enough protection. So while the "average Joe" might get lucky in warding off an attacker, the majority of people won't even with some sort of training.

IMHO the best self defense is having situational awareness & common sense.

Situational awareness is being aware of your surroundings by paying attention to what is going on around you and paying attention to those spider senses that everyone has. If it doesn't feel right get the hell out of there or better yet think about things first, the common sense thing. Is this a good idea? Can I find someone else to walk with me? Is there an alternative that is safer?

Regardless, if you are out in a public setting that means staying off your cell phone, keeping your ear buds out and your head up. Save your calls and texting etc for when you are in a safe zone, a place that you are very familiar with, home, office. restaurant. This includes being in your car. Keep the doors locked, check your mirrors often, leave yourself an escape route so that you can avoid a potential collision or a car jacking attempt. Most importantly stay OFF your phone! Even if you have Bluetooth the phone is still a huge distraction that diverts you from paying attention to your surroundings.

Not letting yourself become a potential victim in the first place is better than having to try to remember some karate kid move that you learned a year ago and haven't practiced since. Even self defense experts worth their salt will agree that the best self defense is avoiding situations where you may become a victim.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Good post most people are not expecting to be attacked and the shock factor would leave even strong people unprepared so being aware and dare I say cautious is the best bet .
Apart from never leaving home without a Rottweiler .
Jiggs
Ontario, Canada
Jiggs is male 

30-08-2017, 02:57 PM

A Rotty, a semi auto, pepper spray and body armour. Now you're ready for that evening stroll!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 08:25 AM

I think a pair of running shoes too , I was wondering what's an LEO ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think a pair of running shoes too , I was wondering what's an LEO ?

Glad you asked that too, summer.

Where do you get a pepper spray from as well?

Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top