Join for free
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:03 AM

Re: General Election 2017: The Result

I was just horrified to hear lady , from the green party, say "We will never support the Conservatives". How the hell can any MP say that when they don't know what legislation they are being asked to vote on?
I would understand if it is something the Green party are opposed to, but surely opposition to another party, rather than the legislation they are putting forward, is not helping the country and seems to be a method of manipulating the vote.
With attitudes like that, is it any wonder this country is going downhill?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:05 AM

A very good result for Labour, credit to them for their campaign and congratulations to anyone who voted for them.

In my mind two things happened;

Labour encouraged more young people to vote

Conservatives cocked up their campaign

A good result for Labour
A fair result for the Tories considering
A bad result for the Country.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I was just horrified to hear lady , from the green party, say "We will never support the Conservatives". How the hell can any MP say that when they don't know what legislation they are being asked to vote on?
I would understand if it is something the Green party are opposed to, but surely opposition to another party, rather than the legislation they are putting forward, is not helping the country and seems to be a method of manipulating the vote.
With attitudes like that, is it any wonder this country is going downhill?
They will have witnessed previous behaviour and seen the manifesto, they are like chalk and cheese politically. Austerity versus caring for the people. I can see how they can predict that quite easily.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They will have witnessed previous behaviour and seen the manifesto, they are like chalk and cheese politically. Austerity versus caring for the people. I can see how they can predict that quite easily.
So if there was a vote on restricting human rights for murdering terrorists, are you suggesting that a green party member would vote against it, just because it was a Tory idea?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm afraid so ST, I really can't see Brexit succeeding now as well as it would have done with one party in command of the house. As I said, the worst possible result and one which I hope we don't come to regret.
Surely now that Brexit has been triggered (Didn't May do so in March?) in two years you will be out of the EU whether you have an agreement with them or not? Parliament doesn't come into it except to ratify any agreement but whether it agrees or not you are out in two years.

Best of luck with that.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
...or trying to pay off the debts incurred by previous governments versus promising everything to everyone regardless of whether or not there is the money to pay for it ...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Like a lot of people I expected a large Conservative majority

I'm not so bothered about the Conservative party as such, but it will obviously make achieving Brexit more difficult

the other fly in the ointment is that Tim Farron has retained his seat. I don't suppose the arrogant whingeing toad will ever be off our TV screens now
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:16 AM

So if there was a vote on restricting human rights for murdering terrorists, are you suggesting that a green party member would vote against it, just because it was a Tory idea?

I hope they would vote against because it's a dreadful idea !

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...or trying to pay off the debts incurred by a previous government versus promising everything to everyone regardless of whether or not there is the money to pay for it ...

If you were in debt Meg would you take money from the poorest to pay it back or the richest ? That's my argument with the debt idea, they went for the poorest in society because that's what conservatives in power do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Isn't that the problem though? Look at the supermarket BOGOF offers and other similar I ideas, you will find that we have become a nation of people who want something for nothing. As long as people think that, if they need something the government will provide it, they will do nothing to help themselves. Whilst this continues, less people will have the incentive to work harder and build businesses that will provide jobs. Without those businesses and the tax they will pay, who is going to provide the money to improve peoples lives?
For all the people who were concerned about how Brexit will damage the lives of the young, I wonder how many are concerned about the national debt, that is likely to be caused by Corbyns ideas, and how much that will damage the young people's future.
Exactly. As I said elsewhere, Corbyn has successfully conned the easily conned, including young people who now think they'll all go to university for free, obtain Mickey Mouse degrees and end up as shelf stackers!

The future holds no particular worries to me at my time of life, but I am sure that our young people will look back in a few years and regret bringing the inevitable mess upon themselves.

They get what they deserve.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Neither did that evil witch Thatcher (phth, phth, phth) until the 'nasty party' panjandrums called on her and one by one and stuck bloody great knives in her back.
Er, didn't you forget something? 'Scumbag'?

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top