Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Re: Armed Civilians in the UK

What does an elected police commissioner know about anything ?

Remember Tony Martin ?

Get a hold of yourselves people, when was the last time any of you thought your life was in danger enough to warrant a gun to protect yourself ?
British law says you can use force equivalent to the threat, I believe.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Hi

Interesting discussion.

I can quite see Tpin's logic and I certainly would not want to see armed civilians or Parish Councils holding stocks of weapons.

Equally, I would fully understand someone whose family were being threatened doing whatever is necessary.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Sadly, I think the idea is awful, but we would have to be blind to think that it isn't likely to happen.

The instinct of survival is one of the greatest instincts we have and if we don't get control of terrorists actions civil war is likely to occur.

I don't always agree with Swim, but I would be astounded if everybody didn't think that this country has been too slow and too soft in dealing with it. If we piddle about, trying to do the right thing.. and fail, people will take the responsibility into their own hands.

I dont want to be proud to be British, I want everybody to be alive in Britain, and unless we remove all extremist,
of the Muslim faith, from a free life in this country that will never happen!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Hi

Yes, I agree Twink.

The Manchester Bomber was a Security failure.

He should never have been allowed back into the UK.

This is not beyond the bounds of possibility to have arranged this.

His father and brother are still there and are without doubt linked to Jihadists.

They should remain in Libya, never to return.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Been a similar case to the Martin one recently.
murder investigation has been launched after a suspected burglar was shot dead following a break in at the home of a reclusive brother and sister.

Reuben Gregory, who is in his 70s and his sister Cathy, who is in her 50s, were arrested by Thames Valley Police after dialling 999 to report that a man had suffered gunshot wounds close to their islolated mobile home.

Relatives of the couple, who have lived together in a caravan without power or water for many years, said they had been burgled in the past and lived in fear of being attacked.

The fatal shooting happened in woods off the busy A4 Colnbrook bypass near Slough, Berkshire, and close to the perimeter of Heathrow Airport.

The incident has strong echoes of the shooting carried out in 1999 by reclusive farmer Tony Martin.

Mr Martin was convicted of murder after shooting dead a burglar at his home. The conviction was later reduced to manslaughter and he served three years in prison.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 05:41 PM

If Mrs LD's or my life was in danger, I would use whatever I had to hand to protect us and would worry about the consequences afterwards. If I happened to have a gun, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 06:17 PM

I agree with Longdogs but nobody 'happens' to have a gun handy in the UK unless it's a shotgun, and that should be in a locked cabinet with ammunition separate, and not a lot of good in an emergency.

Shooting somebody in darkness as they are running away as Tony Martin did should always be punishable, those sort of circumstances could prove a way to commit a perfect murder.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The armed response cops have enough to worry about when responding to a shout.

Terrorists don't have a uniform to identify themselves as the enemy...except they are the ones that are armed so at present the police have a good chance of getting it right.

Scenario: Three terrorists attack a city...police arrive and are met by 6 armed people...which is friend which is foe?

No thanks.
The ones with beards shouting 'Alan's Snackbar'might be their undoing
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 08:18 PM

I believe everybody in the UK should have guns. I believe that all civilians should have their weapons of choice. However, I also believe that only I should have the ammunition. Because frankly, I wouldn't trust the majority of civvies with anything more dangerous than a piece of knotted string.
Bruv
Kent UK

13-06-2017, 10:24 PM

A garrote ?
The thuggee made good use of them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top