Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Student loans

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e_iOSApp_Other

I knew the figures would be bad but this is crazy money.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Re: Student loans

Yes Julie, it's frightening.
The interest is higher than some mortgages.
I don't understand how it works really as who gains if much of it is never paid back?
I imagine it will put graduates off taking higher paid jobs, which would mean the government gets more tax.
None of it makes sense.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 05:45 PM

All this stuff about people going to Uni is just posturing. Initially, there was the underlying motive of buying time to keep youth unemployment figures down. As we all know, getting a degree is no guarantee of getting a meaningful and subject based related job.

To put youngsters into such debt is, in simple terms, a book balancing exercise.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 11:58 AM

There was a time when Big Companies, like AEI in my day, would take on various types of apprentices with a view to ensuring that skills would be available after the training period.

To that end hundreds of youngsters were in the system and combining "on the job training" with fully paid for technical school packages.

That worked!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There was a time when Big Companies, like AEI in my day, would take on various types of apprentices with a view to ensuring that skills would be available after the training period.

To that end hundreds of youngsters were in the system and combining "on the job training" with fully paid for technical school packages.

That worked!
When I started work in 1964 most large and indeed, medium sized companies had training schemes but you must bear in mind there were some very good Government grants available to them. The training schemes were not coming out of the shareholders pockets.
M.P.R. Ashford
Kent
M.P.R. Ashford is male 

19-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
When I started work in 1964 most large and indeed, medium sized companies had training schemes but you must bear in mind there were some very good Government grants available to them. The training schemes were not coming out of the shareholders pockets.
Correct me if I'm wrong; but I think the Grants were against EU rules. Roll on Brexit.
Brexit could be quite Bloody but it will be worth it in the long run. Just don't let Corbyn 'in'. Gordon Brown made a big enough 'cock up' of the economy; goodness only know what Corbyn would do.
Sorry; should be talking about Student loans.
Many of the degree courses are pretty useless and these student won't get jobs in their chosen careers therefore won't have to pay.
The Lawyers; Engineers; Medis etc will be the real money earners and should be able to afford to pay the fee's anyway. So where's the problem?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top