Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:59 AM

A day in London aka bumpkins in the city

Yesterday we had a day in London planned some weeks back to avoid the horrendous price of rail tickets. You simply can't talk a train trip spontaneously any more prices s like airline tickets go up and up nearer the day it's totally outrageous .
Set forth at 9.00. am
First bit of train journey out replaced by bus just managed to get on many didn't . Reached new starting point refused entry to station there was a train on fire !
More waiting everntally to 11.00am managed to get on train .
Arrived London . Went on tube .
Arrived at portrait gallery collapsed exhausted in their cafe before seeing a single picture .
Saw a few galleries but soon had to leave to move to next destination .
Walked along embankment it was very very hot and man are those streets of London are not made of gold but of very hard stone .
More tube journeys to get to next venue .
It took ages as tube line we needed shut down because of Grenfell fire .
Now we are seriously tired and needed to flake out at a pub to recover .
a couple of hours later dinner and it's time to get back to train station for return .
Yet more tube diversions .
Worse the tubes are heaving and full of drunks.
But we must have looked rough because people immediately jumped up and offered us seats !
Poor frail old bumpkins !
Same coming back replacement bus bus to car park car to home .
It's now past 10.00pm
Watered ungrateful worthless tomatoes .
Came into house fell asleep on sofa
Now awake and it's today must go to bed .
Totally cream crackered .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 03:04 AM

Re: A day in London aka bumpkins in the city

Hi

Muddy, that made me laugh.

I am awake at this stupid time because of an alarm going off.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:29 AM

Certainly a day to remember Muds, it ain't easy having a good time...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 06:24 AM

Poor Muddy - sounds like an exhausting trip. London in hot weather is never good. Have a lazy day today.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Rather you than me Muddy I would sooner have all my teeth pulled out than go to London ...

I bet it was lovely visiting the galleries thought...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear a nice visit to London turned out to be such hard and tiring work Muddy. It's so difficult to find reliable reasonably priced transport these days, and what turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year wouldn't have helped either.

Nowadays it's a minimum of two nights stay in a Premier Inn or equivalent, one day to travel, one day to see the sights, and the last day to travel home. I travelled to London many times when I was a courier and would have loved to stay a while and have a look round, but after making the delivery there was nowhere to park the van that wouldn't cost what I just made doing the job.

So after a stop for refreshments at the services on the M1 [London Gateway] I would face the hard slog back up to Doncaster. I do miss it though.....
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 11:27 AM

We are only 30 miles away but rarely go to London, simply don't like it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 11:28 AM

You need a holiday.....get back on the plane....Spain awaits you and Mr M
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 02:45 PM

I love visiting London but l wouldn't like to live there!
Every Christmas, l would take my children on the train to London, to go to Hamleys the toy shop. They loved it!
If we went in the summer, we always went to Madame Tussauds and then next door to the Planetarium where l always fell asleep!

Muddy, your visit doesn't sound like the pleasure mine were!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I love visiting London but l wouldn't like to live there!
Every Christmas, l would take my children on the train to London, to go to Hamleys the toy shop. They loved it!
If we went in the summer, we always went to Madame Tussauds and then next door to the Planetarium where l always fell asleep!

Muddy, your visit doesn't sound like the pleasure mine were!!
The Planetarium is no longer beside Madame Tussauds and hasn't been for some years - its now located near the Greenwich Observatory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top