Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 02:16 PM

Re: Cats.

Well I have no answer but I can recommend what not to do, don't plant catmint, they love it. There's a bank by our caravan always got several puddy tats writhing around on it almost drunk on it ! Mind you can catch them easier they can't run fast after a few minutes in that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 03:01 PM

I have found two solutions, each of which works to an extent.

Firstly, PIR-operated water sprays. I have found that a couple of these placed strategically deter cats from the area covered. However, they don't work on foxes, and fox poo seems to stink far worse than cat poo!

So my second solution was holly leaves. These need placing in all areas at risk. Fortunately, we have a few holly bushes and it's easy to go raiding them and placing small branches of holly leaves in strategic locations. They seem to last quite a long time too without losing the effectiveness of their pointy bits.

Holly leaves seem to be effective against foxes too!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I have no answer but I can recommend what not to do, don't plant catmint, they love it. There's a bank by our caravan always got several puddy tats writhing around on it almost drunk on it ! Mind you can catch them easier they can't run fast after a few minutes in that.
How odd. I was going to say try planting catnep. They will spend all their time rolling around and drooling they will forget to go into anywhere else.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 08:03 PM

The water option is good but no poncy spray

Something more substantial

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/gifts-f...FRU8GwodUwkK_g

Put down pepper and sliced garlic too to deter Puss .

Also when you see offending cat run out with water gun shouting loudly .
Scare the bejesus out of him .
Added to a good squirt he will soon get the picture !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The water option is good but no poncy spray

Something more substantial

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/gifts-f...FRU8GwodUwkK_g
That's no good! You'd have to sit there watching for cats. The PIR systems do that for you and, believe you me, they're not poncy!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 08:28 PM

My son had one of those systems .
It squirted everyone including me and didn't stop the nextdoors tom from not only pooping in the garden but beating up his elderly cat too.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My son had one of those systems .
It squirted everyone including me and didn't stop the nextdoors tom from not only pooping in the garden but beating up his elderly cat too.
I must admit that they do squirt people too.

It's quite fun to put one in the front garden to get the postman.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 05:19 AM

Rarely see cats in my garden but if I do I catch them in a possum trap and take them to the animal pound.

People are much more careful with their pets if they have to pay to get them back. I have found it pretty effective.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 10:59 PM

I have my plastic covered clematis netting, today was too wet, when I was in the mood to do anything.
Tomorrow I shall try it in earnest.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
OK - court of last resort - buy one of these, fill with water, lie in wait for the offending cat and spray him/her every time he/she puts a paw in your garden. It won't hurt the cat but will send out the message that it is not welcome !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072JGPH...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Naah - get one of these

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top