Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Tackling our bedrooms

We have decided bedrooms need a refresh and possibly move a few people around as Nathan can't sleep on sofa much longer.

Plans are afoot to put a partition wall in the big bedroom, so we have two smaller rooms both will benefit from half a window and a built in wardrobe, so perfectly fine for grace and Nathan, with a pull out bed in graces room if she has a friend to stay at anytime.
Then Steven and I will have the small bedroom at the front we have a built in wardrobe in there and can just about get a double bed in if we take the door off and fit a sliding door in its place, but we must try and get a fire door if that's possible.

Then we can all decorate how we want.

Grace has great plans and a scrap book of ideas and colours

Nathan says he's just happy to get a proper bed

And Steven said do it how you want I'm not in it very long, he's right he's up at 4.30am after a night of dashing to the loo he's really loving getting older

Anyway lot of work to do to get it all sorted out.

I'm not asking permission last person in our flats actually asked they were turned down and weren't allowed to knock through from kitchen to living room so we'll do it quietly and not let them know.

Looking at design of the three beds in our block it's very similar to what we are doing only difference is small bedroom is slightly larger because they have half sized kitchen.

So shopping for various things will begin, Stevens sourcing the diy materials and I'm doing the decorating stuff and bedding etc.

Got to get my sewing machine out to make duvet covers and curtains, and knitting needles out to make rugs and bed covers.

Busy time !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 12:55 PM

Re: Tackling our bedrooms

Julie you must be a treasure to your family, but just remember that you have recently had a serious operation, so please don't do too much. You are more important to them, than getting the bedrooms sorted quickly, so take your time and only do what you are able to.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 01:01 PM

Sounds exciting Julie. As Twink says, take it easy. Start by making the tea.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Id have to be dead not to knit no matter how bad I feel I'm naked with out needles in my hand. But I'm limiting myself to buying and a little making all the hard work is being done by rest of the family.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Hope all your plans go well. But isn't Jordan now out of the flat, now he's married, so what were the sleeping arrangements like before that?

And agree, take it sloooooooooowleeeee!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Hope all your plans go well. But isn't Jordan now out of the flat, now he's married, so what were the sleeping arrangements like before that?

And agree, take it sloooooooooowleeeee!
Before that Nathan and Jordan were in small front bedroom, Grace on the sofa and Steven and I in the other bedroom. We decided to get grace off the sofa as she was needing to go to bed earlier than Nathan. Nate now doing shifts so needs somewhere he can sleep during day time and sofa no good for that.

Jordan and the lovely Ivana are in a flat in aldershot when he's home, she's there on her own a lot of the time so often pops in here for a chat and a meal. One she cooks for us I must add she's a great little cook makes some really yummy pasta dishes.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 03:38 PM

Ah, thanks Julie. It's not nice or healthy for someone to keep sleeping on a sofa!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not asking permission last person in our flats actually asked they were turned down and weren't allowed to knock through from kitchen to living room so we'll do it quietly and not let them know.
Who owns the block and what are the terms of the lease?

Making a doorway from a kitchen may well have contravened fire regs, especially if it would mean there were going to be two doors which out of the kitchen could create a fire corridor. This may be why they were turned down.

The replacement of an existing door into a sliding one may also be problematic in terms of fire regs and may cause problems should you ever need to claim insurance or, heaven forbid, fire damage caused to other residents in your block is ever laid at your doorstep. You might be liable.

Don't mean to put a dampener on your intentions, but just be aware of possible pitfalls
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 05:00 PM

Love the ideas of your handmade rugs etc Julie!
If you lived nearby I could give you some wool! (I'm still fighting my wool addiction!)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top