Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Re: Number busy

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Another one of OG's exasperating threads where you get stuck into a story line but have to invent your own explanation and ending!
I know,
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 12:35 PM

An operator can put a "howler" on the line ,which is a high pitched signal to attract attention on a phone off the hook
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Well I'm not posting on behalf of anyone else here, but we get all kinds of threads begun by folks who have a dilemma they want to share.

It might be their love life, or an elderly relative they're responsible for, or a child, troublesome neighbours, all kinds of stuff.

Most of the time, I've learnt over the years on here and on other forums, you rarely get the full picture, let alone the whole story, but never mind that for now...

You read the story/dilemma and you take the time and mental energy to reply to the best of your knowledge/ability.
Not because you crave attention, not because you're trying to interfere, but because you think you have something to contribute and you care.

So it's a bit flipping rich when the next thing is a post inferring it's none of your business, or it's not a subject suitable for public consumption.

My reply to that one is this...next time you have a problem you want people's help with do us a favour and keep it to yourself!!
I'd think I'd rather get half a story, or no idea of the ending as long as the poster has got the help, and that may just be getting it off their chest, that they need.

We also have to be aware we are often writing about family or friends and they may just say they want their privacy maintained. Or it may be just so boring you feel silly for having worried of course.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
An operator can put a "howler" on the line ,which is a high pitched signal to attract attention on a phone off the hook
Our phones at work do that I'm always having to dash back after I've cleaned them looking for the handset I haven't replaced properly !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Well I'm not posting on behalf of anyone else here, but we get all kinds of threads begun by folks who have a dilemma they want to share.

It might be their love life, or an elderly relative they're responsible for, or a child, troublesome neighbours, all kinds of stuff.

Most of the time, I've learnt over the years on here and on other forums, you rarely get the full picture, let alone the whole story, but never mind that for now...

You read the story/dilemma and you take the time and mental energy to reply to the best of your knowledge/ability.
Not because you crave attention, not because you're trying to interfere, but because you think you have something to contribute and you care.

So it's a bit flipping rich when the next thing is a post inferring it's none of your business, or it's not a subject suitable for public consumption.

My reply to that one is this...next time you have a problem you want people's help with do us a favour and keep it to yourself!!
I agree with you on this Ruthio! If somebody asks for our help they are sharing their worries with us and most are only too happy to help. When the problem is solved we don't have to hear all the details but it would be polite to say " She had left the phone off the hook" or "She was telling somebody her life story over the phone". It is just good manners to offer some explanation when you have asked people to help!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Well he did say it was a long story that to me said it was probably just lady left phone off hook and wandered away doing normal day to day things. I guess we will just have to agree to disgree about degree of needing to know.

Ya nosey lot
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well he did say it was a long story that to me said it was probably just lady left phone off hook and wandered away doing normal day to day things. I guess we will just have to agree to disgree about degree of needing to know.

Ya nosey lot
You are right Julie, I only come on here to find out what you have all been doing...... wait till you read the book I am writing about you all!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree with you on this Ruthio! If somebody asks for our help they are sharing their worries with us and most are only too happy to help. When the problem is solved we don't have to hear all the details but it would be polite to say " She had left the phone off the hook" or "She was telling somebody her life story over the phone". It is just good manners to offer some explanation when you have asked people to help!
I'm glad someone thinks the same way, I didn't mean to sound unkind or mean..
It would only take a moment to say what you've suggested, it doesn't have to be a long story!
And yes, it's good manners.

Ya nosey lot

No Julie, thats not a long story!
And no it's not nosey!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-07-2017, 01:55 PM

I was joking about you being nosy.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

12-07-2017, 02:34 PM

I was joking about you being nosy.
I know that and I think others do too!...... but you are the subject of the first chapter in my book!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top