Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Re: The Tax Trap

Originally Posted by Nom ->
There are some very closed minds on here plying the tory hate and bile mantra that those on benefits are subhuman, yet have these people not contributed to the pot during their working days.

Many jobs contribute to bad health, or even snatched away for political ideology, having support when its needed is something i believe in.

This money is then spent in the economy to help keep businesses going, a few may well be scroungers we seem to have imported a fair share of those
but they are in the minority, every section of society has some. Most here grew up through a time when houses and work were not hard to come by

Very different now, and especially if your not part of the London centric bubble
Well said, I take back the poink I gave you earlier!
I don't know much about London but, it seems to be a " country" of its own.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We do have enough unemployed to do this work.

In order to guarantee that they do do it we would have to change the law to force them to move to rural areas at certain times of the year.

It is not 9 to 5 work either, no weekends off and it is weather dependant.

It will be something of a shock to many.
If we don't have enough why are so many so horrible to the unemployed ? They can't be taking vast amounts from the exchequer if they are too few to fill these jobs.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Well said, I take back the poink I gave you earlier!
I don't know much about London but, it seems to be a " country" of its own.
My son who lives and works in London is a higher rate taxpayer but as his rent is over £1,000 a month for a small one bed flat plus paying his council tax and utility bills he doesn't have much disposable income. He works very hard and believe me not everyone could do his job. I can't tell you the things he has had to deal with.

Imagine if he gave his tax and NI contributions directly to a family on NMWage or doing the minimum number of hours to qualify for the handout as the example in the article, so they both can have the same standard of living, you'd agree it's not fair.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 01:13 PM

While I agree it's unfair it's the system to blame not the person working 16 hours IMO.

You'd likely find to a lesser degree but still significant if a person earned nmw and worked full time they'd still get housing benefit and other top ups. It's impossible to live on nmw within several miles of London.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
While I agree it's unfair it's the system to blame not the person working 16 hours IMO.

You'd likely find to a lesser degree but still significant if a person earned nmw and worked full time they'd still get housing benefit and other top ups. It's impossible to live on nmw within several miles of London.
I agree with you Julie. I have already said in this thread that the benefits system is at fault. I also said why wouldn't families opt to spend more time with their families if they can.

I don't know the answers. Times were hard when my family was growing up but we worked hard for what we had, no expectations of benefits. We lived within our means so if we couldn't afford something we went without.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-07-2017, 01:22 PM

I think the problem now is it's impossible to live within your means if your rent is more than your wages. There has to be an answer but I can't see it !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Hi

There is a simple answer to people only working 16 hours to maximise in work Benefits.

Pay the full in work benefits only to those working the standard week of 36 hours.

Those working 16 hours would then get 16 36ths of the full benefit, or less than half.

Benefits were designed for people who cannot work, not to allow people to stay at home out of choice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-07-2017, 03:02 PM

That's ok if people can actually get a full time job, most these days seem part time in nature. Many employers just don't want full timers any more.
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 06:21 PM

If somebody is working, and what they are being paid is so low that they need benefits to top it up, then that says far more about the employer paying such a low wage than it does about the employee.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 06:39 PM

Does it?

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top