Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 11:25 PM

Lawnmowers

So this week it was raining and on Saturday the lawn was moved when the grass was still damp. It came out beautifully. This made me wonder if there are good and bad mowers. The flymo has been brilliant but I'm sure forum members have some opinions on the best models for the perfect velvet trim.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Re: Lawnmowers

Steven mows when it's wet too, a petrol mower, he's never had a problem as long as it's just the grass wet and not muddy.

It's a hayter he has. Very old we inherited it, well found it in a skip actually
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 10:52 AM

I have always used a hover mower and found them easy to use, so long as you don't expect stripes. the best one was the Flymo mini which was good because it got close the edges.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 11:09 AM

You should ty ours, each year the amount of moss we remove from the lawn is staggering. Even down now to using an electric lawn rake. For those who never saw the pictures of the picture of the first go at dealing with it I had to use this

which replaces the blade on a petrol lawn mower. 13 large plastic sacks it took out on the first pass.
Now apart from the electric lawn rake we use a battery powered start petrol self propelled mower. Sue has problems pulling the start chord which makes life that bit easier
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 11:14 AM

We have a compost bin we fill each each week, have to push the top down to close it, by the following week we open it and it's less than a third full. Almost magical how it's disappearing and making compost.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 12:14 PM

I have a petrol mower its ideal for when the grass is wet,ten years old now had to do a bit hole of filling last winter with fibre glass,some silly billy didn't clean it properly in previous years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 01:30 PM

My son has given me a brand new battery lawn mower a Bosch Rotak 43 LI Ergoflex Cordless 36 Volt Lithium-ion Rotary Lawnmower with x 2 batteries (43 cm Cutting Width)
So far I am very pleased with it considering it didn't cost me a penny.

He has purchased a ride on mower to cut his 2.5 acre 'lawn' and a petrol mower for the bits .
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 06:52 PM

After much vacillation, I bought an electric lawnmower from Argos of all places with 20%. With 1600 watts and a sort of mashing facility it goes like a good-un! With the lack of rain here, the mashing just put fine chopped grass back on the ground, and hence a greener growth as the bits rot.

In 1968, I bought a push mower and I still have it, complete in working order. Must get round to offering it to collectors via WightBay before the seasons slip past!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
He has purchased a ride on mower to cut his 2.5 acre 'lawn' and a petrol mower for the bits .
Now you're talking! I have no idea how much these things cost but I would love one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 12:57 AM

I use a 4 stroke Victa v40 mower, 2 strokes just don't have enough ooomph to cut Kikuyu grass if it gets a bit too long. Because I have a corner block I have more grass outside my block as in it.

Unfortunately the chassis has rusted through near the rear even though the motor is fine so it will have to be a new mower next year. 10 years seems to be all you can get out of a steel chassis these days.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top