Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Cat Flaps

I thought it would be pleasant to adopt an adult rescue cat. However, I am having problems about arranging to give it access to my garden. (I do not want a 'house ' cat). The door in my kitchen is double glazed and looking on line, it appears as if I would need to have the entire bottom glass section replaced to have a cap flap. Then that leads into my small utility room and a second cat flap would need to be put in the solid bottom panel of the door there that leads into the garden.
This all appears that it will cost me an awful lot of money, and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions of how I can get these two cat flaps put into at a reasonable cost.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Re: Cat Flaps

Possibly get a small cat to start with

Sorry couldn't resist.

Some in this link may help on how to install a cat flap. So someone in your family may be able to do it for you

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+a+cat+flap
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:56 PM

Do you have space on an external wall so a cat flap can be fitted through the brickwork?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Why not just have a house cat?

Less chance of the poor animal getting killed on the roads, (some 230,000 per year) falling victim to a cat hater, http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ver-30-animals

a neighbourhood dog or catching feline aids or any of the other deadly diseases cats get..

Sorry but I love cats and hate the way they are left to fall victim to such painful and un-necessary deaths.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Do you really want a cat flap ? I have had 3 cats but never a cat flap, when the weather was good and I was home the door to the garden was open, otherwise I would let the cat out/ in whenever it seemed to want to go,you soon get used to the cats habbits to know when it wants in/out.My friend has a cat but no cat flap, if the door is shut he cries at the back door when he wants out and comes to the window when he wants in,another friend does have one but gets her cat in before she goes to bed then locks the flap so it cant go out again
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Maddie cat sleeps in the house all day and goes out all night. I would never put a cat flap in the back door, but I have fitted one in the garage door and placed a comfortable bed in there for her just incase the weather is bad......It also does for me when Mrs Fox has got the hump and she chucks me out.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Maddie cat sleeps in the house all day and goes out all night. I would never put a cat flap in the back door, but I have fitted one in the garage door and placed a comfortable bed in there for her just incase the weather is bad......It also does for me when Mrs Fox has got the hump and she chucks me out.....
Sounds the perfect way to ensure that the cat kills the maximum amount of local wildlife.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sounds the perfect way to ensure that the cat kills the maximum amount of local wildlife.
Most birds are fast asleep but she does leave leave me the product of her nights labour on the doorstep occasionally....I don't write the rules for mother nature......
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Must say I always had cats when the children were at home, two of them at the time. Always had cat flaps. Do not like the idea of so-called 'house cats'. I really do think that cats should be allowed free access to the outside as they desire. Like the idea of using the garage, but that is at the back of my garden, and is pretty cold in the winter.
Have looked at the possibility of flap through wall, but the two areas of wall both have drains on the outside. My patio doors are quite fancy glass, and that would cost an absolute fortune to replace. So, I am back to the idea of one flap in the kitchen door and a second one in the utility room. Have a 'man' coming round soon to quote,his idea to keep costs down would be to replace the bottom half of the kitchen door with a plain panel. Could be a good idea.
Once this is carried out (if it is carried out),next step would be to find out how to go about getting a rescue animal.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 07:22 PM

My friends have cats but no cat flap,one friend works but has trained the cats to go out for a while in the morning before she leaves home,then calls them in for food [ they usually comes back ],they are shut in then untill she or her husband returns home,then they go out again ,but comes home when called before they go to bed,another friend is retired,her cat cries when he wants to go out and come back in,if she is out he goes in the greenhouse,but she likes to get him in again before she goes to bed.Same scenario with my other friends.All the cats are happy and mostly keep to a routine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top