Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:07 PM

Peat Free Compost

A letter in my gardening magazine caught my interest, it was a complaint about peat free compost.

The reader was saying about how her tomatoes failed miserably in peat free growbags a while back, but hoping the boffins had improved this compost by now, she decided to risk trying it again.

This was part of her letter:

"What a complete waste of time and money that was. Far from thriving - as my seedlings always have in peat-based compost - they struggled to survive.
The peat-free smelt unpleasant and was horrible to use, having quite large lumps of bark and what looked like pieces of branch in it.
In the pots, the top inch would turn to concrete while the rest of the compost would be soaking wet.
It was only when I rescued them and repotted into normal compost , that they began to pick up."

Interesting I thought.
I haven't tried the peat-free but that has put me off anyway now. Have you tried it, and how did you get on?

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Re: Peat Free Compost

Hi

I personally would not go near the stuff.

It is the composted contents of wheelie bin garden waste and the stuff people chuck in the green bins at recycling centres.

It can have all sorts of nasty stuff in it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I personally would not go near the stuff.

It is the composted contents of wheelie bin garden waste and the stuff people chuck in the green bins at recycling centres.

It can have all sorts of nasty stuff in it.

Like what, Swims?

What goes into 'normal' compost?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:20 PM

I've never used peat free compost and Swim's reply has definitely put me off ever using it in the future now...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:25 PM

We briefly tried it last year all my failures were in pots filled with it. Transferred them into proper compost this year and they are thriving. Water couldn't get to the roots until we soaked them as it set solid on top.

You could see bits of twig etc as it hadn't rotted properly.

Waste of money IMO
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Never mind folks while your happy with your gardens you are contributing too.

THIS.

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/peatlands
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 01:08 PM

I'm not saying we should use peat but surely a decent compost can be made that's peat free ? Also yes we love our garden, it's what we have always dreamed of having. I think a garden can mend souls, just looking at ours makes us feel better in our bodies and minds. We have contributed to a wilder area that has millions of creatures living in it. Our buddlias bring masses of butterflies and we grow as many flowers to bring bees in as we can.

Bees are in danger, if taking peat to improve our chalk helps them I'm not going to feel too guilty. Without them we'd have very few crops or plants.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Like what, Swims?

What goes into 'normal' compost?
Hi

I compost stuff from my garden at home which has not been treated with weedkillers etc.

The hard twiggy bits, like shrub and rose prunings, go into the recycling bin which goes off for composting.

So do any weeds I have sprayed on my paths and driveways.

People put all sorts of chemically treated stuff into recycling bins, many are not as careful as perhaps we are.

I know one of my neighbours bungs her cat litter into her recycling.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-08-2017, 01:21 PM

It's amazing how many put meat and dairy in the recycling bins too that can't do it any good.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-08-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I compost stuff from my garden at home which has not been treated with weedkillers etc.

The hard twiggy bits, like shrub and rose prunings, go into the recycling bin which goes off for composting.

So do any weeds I have sprayed on my paths and driveways.

People put all sorts of chemically treated stuff into recycling bins, many are not as careful as perhaps we are.

I know one of my neighbours bungs her cat litter into her recycling.

People also put diseased plants, virus plants, and perennial weeds in also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top