Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 10:26 PM

Re: A strange Insect

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You may not find it then if it is a hibrid insect, you do get them occasionally in the world of nature

What do you mean by 'hybrid insect'?

I wondered if they are one of those imported creatures that has come in on other vegetation.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 10:53 PM

It does look a bit like that dung fly, but whereas that seems quite chunky and an orangey/goldie yellow, my one's body is slender and bullet shaped, and a bright lemon yellow.
Don't think it's the same. Thanks anyway.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 11:03 PM

Mups it sounds like a dung fly....
I don't think they usually bite

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Sca...ga_stercoraria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlBusQmnsK4

An ice pack should help with the itching...
AS it was dusk I would guess it was a mosquito and not the yellow fly...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 05:41 AM

I am wondering whether or not this is my nemesis, the deer or yellow fly. They are very light and one tends not to notice them until they have been stung. That said, they are much slower moving than house or other flies, and therefore easier to swat, but they bite quickly and can raise very itchy large patches. The females saw open a spot in your skin and leave their saliva while trying to access your blood, producing a histamine reaction.

Yellow flies tend to be common here in the warm, moist southern part of the U.S in forests and around bodies of water. Since I am out runnning every day, I've been bitten often. The more often one is bitten, the more often one tends to develop an allergy to them.

By the end of summer, they raise such itchy large patches only half of a Benadryl (an antihistamine) resolves the itch and reduces the welst (sometimes five inches across). One half pill works effectively after about 20 minutes without making me drowsy. The best prevention is insect repellant.

If I'm wrong...then that was a whole lot of "never mind".
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 06:26 AM

could it be this one a Yellow Stone Fly.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=1&ajaxhist=0
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Mups it sounds like it could be one of the Parasitic wasps or true flies, voracious predators of Aphids but there are thousands of them.

To help narrow it down.

Parasitic wasp i photographed.

Large Rose Sawfly.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 01:15 PM

I'm getting out of this topic sharpish Mups.....There are loads of things seen here that I wouldn't want landing on any part of my anatomy....

Although the bit about 'Stockings' sounded interesting....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-08-2017, 01:29 PM

Well folks, this is my feeble attempt at photographing the little blighter.
It was sitting on a rose again this morning and flew off, round in a circle, and came back and landed on my arm!!! I was scared stiff of getting another sting/bite, so quickly shoo'd it off, whereupon it went back to another rose leaf.
My photo is so puny, it is a waste of time posting it really, I haven't the camera or knowledge to do detailed close-ups.
It is on the third leaf in from the right.

Now some good news.

Our NOM has solved the mystery. Well done Nom, I am so pleased. It is your LARGE ROSE SAWFLY. Perfect picture you have done.

Would that be what bit or stung me? Can they do that do you know? My ankle i still not back to normal inspite of 4 days on Penicillin and anti-histamine so far.

Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help.

Bazza, I also owe you an apology, because I think there was one on those pictures you sent me, but the wings were folded up tight, so I wasn't able to see the body underneath and didn't recognise it till just now.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Never seen one myself Mups they dont get up here but the cant sting. watch out for the caterpillars.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=196

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top