Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Re: Looney Labour Tries To Fine The Homeless!

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It really does baffle me when people bang on about the lack of housing but still welcome all and sundry into the Country. Can they not add up?
And spot on to you, LD. Totally agree.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
OK then find them and kick them out........where are you going to look ?

I'll admit to being not too clever......if you will admit to being just a little naive.

Amongst this list of "Illegal immigrants" are there any Polish, French, German, Romanian, Nepalese ?

Just asking.
Hi

Not entirely sure what point you are trying to make.

There are no illegal EU Citizens, they have free movement.

I have never come across any illegal Nepalese either.

Where to find them?

Not that difficult, Hand Car Washes for a start, Taxis, Take Aways, Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants.

We could of course clamp down on those entering through the Channel Ports, we do not check every HGV entering the UK.

Many are overstayers, arrive on limited visas, others are so called students, fake language schools.

They are allowed to work 20 hours a week maximum, they get a NI Number, but work full time, so easy to trace through earnings.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
OK then find them and kick them out........where are you going to look ?
A good place to start would be hospitals and GP surgeries, if only they would demand proof of identity.

In fact, anywhere where they look for something for nothing.

Then we should be looking in the obvious places. Foreign-owned food outlets and factories, for example. Regular visits by the enforcement agencies, again looking for proof of identity.

As mentioned earlier, we should all be obliged to carry IDs and the police and other authorities permitted to demand sight of them at any time.

Illegals could be identified really quite simply but, unfortunately, we don't seem to have the will to do so for some reason.

The infamous 'human rights' no doubt.

SORRY SF. You beat me to it!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Swimfeeders
Many of our homeless have severe learning difficulties and or mental health problems.

We need to provide this support for them, it is not simply a matter of providing homes.
This is all very true.

In addition we have large numbers of street people who have the option of accommodation via the various standard channels, but whom actually prefer to live on the street and thereby hang onto any benefits they get.

There are actually far less actual homeless people than people imagine there to be and a great many people who you see begging on the streets, the majority in fact, are not homeless at all but are simply begging in order to feed their habits (either drink or various substances).

The problems in our cities therefore run deep and can not be solved by throwing money at these people. In fact it is a bad idea to give street beggars any money because all you are doing is fuelling their problems and addictions which gets them nowhere. They need to be steered towards the various support centres that exist in all major cities. I help such a support centre every week, cooking a good square meal for about 20 such people. The centre helps those without housing get on the right path to get accommodated, helps them sort their benefits, tracks their problems and issues, drinking or substance abuse or mental health, gets them to the right treatment/rehab places, helps them with basic things like understanding utility bills and letters and so on.

It's a drawn out process which requires us to engage these people and get them coming to the centre on a daily (or as near as) basis. They call it "the long game" because no-one gets the monkey off their back in short time. You have to build trust, respect and be prepared to support them over a long period.

When I see people begging and hear the standard pleas of "spare a bit of change please" I find it hard to walk past but knowing what I do I realist that I can not hand over money. I sometimes go and buy them a coffee and sandwich, but TBH they get loads of that generally, plus they get free meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis from the plethora of support centres.

Fining beggars is NOT a solution. It's a Looney concept.
Instead, we must invest money in support centres and their staff and fund the resources they need.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 09:00 PM

I think the idea of having identity cards as suggested is a brilliant one, I'd happily have one if it helped.

I see in town now a few homeless couples, obviously employed and not able to afford housing. This takes me back to early 80s when my husband and I were in that position. I don't think mental health was the problem just high rental prices.

I do wonder how many have mental health problems prior to being homeless, it's something overcomes many once they are on the streets, especially if they aren't drinkers or into drugs.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not entirely sure what point you are trying to make.

There are no illegal EU Citizens, they have free movement.

I have never come across any illegal Nepalese either.

Where to find them?

Not that difficult, Hand Car Washes for a start, Taxis, Take Aways, Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants.

We could of course clamp down on those entering through the Channel Ports, we do not check every HGV entering the UK.

Many are overstayers, arrive on limited visas, others are so called students, fake language schools.

They are allowed to work 20 hours a week maximum, they get a NI Number, but work full time, so easy to trace through earnings.
You got my point, they are legal.

We all meet them in the supermarket, speaking funny languages, and at the doctors trying to be understood.
Those are the people that we mostly come into contact with.....and the ones that get people wound up.

The car washers, restaurant and take away staff are normally out of sight........who strangely are working and not looking for something for nothing.

The British are far far too honest, and expect those that are desperate to better the chances for themselves and family who are escaping wars and hunger in their homelands to have the same level of honesty.
I agree that illegals should be sent back, but I don't believe the illegals are the problem that everybody complains about, the word illegal is added to show they are really even handed.
The brexit vote was about immigrants not illegals.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 06:33 AM

It is not as if god's own country is blameless. Currently the state government is arguing with Sydney Council about the homeless protesters in Sydney's Martin Place (uncomfortably close to State Parliament)

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/govern...01-gxniq4.html

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top