Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Re: Government complicit in Grenfell Tower disaster

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is not often that I respond like this, but here goes.

Absolute bollocks.

There was plenty of money available, instead they chose to spend on totally unnecessary enhancements to other parts of the Building.

Who made that choice?

The tenants themselves, they have control of the management committee.

If we are going to make this Political, so be it.

Southwark Council, Labour Controlled, are evacuating Tower Blocks because they did not upgrade them after Ronan Point.

All up grading works were fully funded by Government.

I was working for a Labour Council when they transferred the Housing Stock to a Housing Association, an In house one.

They then became Private Sector Housing as far as the law was concerned.

Private Sector Housing was part of my remit at the time and I spent two years hammering my ex bosses with legal notices for sub standard housing.

My Ex Bosses, all Political Appointees, had awarded themselves huge pay rises when they were transferred out.

When it kicked off and I started hammering them, I was offered the same.

I have my principles, I cannot be bought.
That is a really excellent post swimfeeders, and thank you for putting U.J. right on the subject with a very interesting read.
With him and his bile everything horrible that ever happens in the long distant past and nowadays is all down to his vendetta against the so called 'scumbag nasty Tory party'.

I agree with you.
Absolute bollocks!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 10:46 AM

@ Nom..

and a few more besides

Name

Party

How they voted

Rushanara Ali Lab Abstained
Adrian Bailey Lab Aye
Clive Betts Lab Aye
Lyn Brown Lab Aye
Chris Bryant Lab Aye
Andy Burnham Lab Aye
Ruth Cadbury Lab Aye
Ann Clwyd Lab Abstained
Geraint Davies Lab Aye
Bill Esterson Lab Aye
Meg Hillier Lab Aye
David Lammy Lab Aye
Chris Leslie Lab Aye
Fiona Mactaggart Lab Aye
Madeleine Moon Lab Aye
Seema Malhotra Lab Aye
Steve McCabe Lab Aye
Alasdair McDonnell Lab Abstained
Pat McFadden Lab Aye
Ian Murray Lab Aye
Joan Ryan Lab Aye
Andrew Smith Lab Aye
Mark Tami Lab Aye
Gareth Thomas Lab Aye
Emily Thornberry Lab Aye
Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh SNP Abstained
Richard Arkless SNP Abstained
Ian Blackford SNP Abstained
Lisa Cameron SNP Abstained
Calum Kerr SNP Abstained
Angus Brendan MacNeil SNP Abstained
Michelle Thomson SNP Abstained
Douglas Carswell UKIP No
Danny Kinahan UUP No
Norman Lamb Lib Dem Abstained
Danny Simpson DUP Abstained
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 10:51 AM

As an ex tradesman, I have worked in many rented properties and I can tell you that the worst type of landlord is not the council and it's not MPs. No, the very worst landlords (and I'm sure other trades will back me on this) are the foreign ones. They hate spending money on the property and would have their tenants living in absolute squalor if it wasn't for the law.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
As an ex tradesman, I have worked in many rented properties and I can tell you that the worst type of landlord is not the council and it's not MPs. No, the very worst landlords (and I'm sure other trades will back me on this) are the foreign ones. They hate spending money on the property and would have their tenants living in absolute squalor if it wasn't for the law.
Yes, Longdogs I think you are correct. However, I thought laws were in place anyway for private landlords, and therefore don't understand what the BILL was about in 2016.
My family have lived in private rented during their student days and afterwards, some of them are disgusting (i.e. apart from the student mess)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Yes, Longdogs I think you are correct. However, I thought laws were in place anyway for private landlords, and therefore don't understand what the BILL was about in 2016.
My family have lived in private rented during their student days and afterwards, some of them are disgusting (i.e. apart from the student mess)
Hi PD.

Yes there are laws and a most of the landlords I worked for stuck to them and even went beyond what was required to keep their tenants happy but a lot of the foreign ones have foreign tenants, most of whom can't even speak English let alone understand the law.

Some of the conditions I have seen were appalling and quite often, the landlord doesn't even live here.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

12-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Hi PD.

Yes there are laws and a most of the landlords I worked for stuck to them and even went beyond what was required to keep their tenants happy but a lot of the foreign ones have foreign tenants, most of whom can't even speak English let alone understand the law.

Some of the conditions I have seen were appalling and quite often, the landlord doesn't even live here.
Thank you LD I have just found this, which actually explains the 'vote' more easily and why it was rejected. Nothing to do with 'Private Rentals' .

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...ts-complicated

Council tenants still have no legal power to challenge local authorities on safety failings

The Tories’ Housing and Planning Bill eventually passed in 2016. It gives councils the power to levy civil penalties on private landlords that fail to act on “category 1 hazards” in the properties they rent. That includes exposed or faulty wiring, dangerous or broken boilers, and damaged steps.

But it doesn’t help people in local authority housing.

While all council homes are expected to be fit for habitation, no existing law – including the government’s most recent housing bill – actually allows that standard to be enforced. Even if the council’s own inspectors discovered failings in local authority properties, they wouldn’t have the power to force through changes or impose sanctions on those responsible.

Labour’s proposed laws would have allowed council tenants to challenge local authorities on unsafe homes, but both were rejected
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Add in the reduction of our fire, police, and health, services, im not so sure they are not to be held in some part accountable.
They are accountable come election time.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Wrong yet again!!! - this evil little sh*t had numerous properties in and around Brighton & Hove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_van_Hoogstraten
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Wrong yet again!!! - this evil little sh*t had numerous properties in and around Brighton & Hove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_van_Hoogstraten
Well I'm sure you can find examples of bad landlords who are not foreign (although Van Hoogstraten doesn't sound indigenous) but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I'm only going on experience
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Well I'm sure you can find examples of bad landlords who are not foreign (although Van Hoogstraten doesn't sound indigenous) but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I'm only going on experience
Would seem you've led a very sheltered life!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top