Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Re: Today is the day.

I see where you are coming from, but the bird or animal being hunted does have more of a chance of surviving, unlike those that are farmed purely to be slaughtered for consumption.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think it's the 'sport' bit Rehab that a lot of people object to.

Sorry Rehab, but I agree with dongles here.

If we have to kill an animal, I don't see why it should give so much pleasure.

Like the big game hunters who are proudly photographed by the beautiful lion/giraffe or whatever else they killed for no reason at all, except pleasure - and a trophy.
That's what gets me.
What the hell is there to be proud of in taking a life when it wasn't necessary?

It is a similar principal as the hunt to me, or the hare coursers even, where the - "my dog is faster than yours", or "I've shot 10 today", etc, and I know they boast afterwards about how many birds/rabbits/hare/deer or whatever else they have killed.

It is not just the unecessary killing, it is the MOTIVE that upsets me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Killing for food is different from killing for fun.
I rarely eat any meat apart from turkey at Xmas or a bacon sandwich about twice a year and then I feel guilty!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry Rehab, but I agree with dongles here.

If we have to kill an animal, I don't see why it should give so much pleasure.

Like the big game hunters who are proudly photographed by the beautiful lion/giraffe or whatever else they killed for no reason at all, except pleasure - and a trophy.
That's what gets me.
What the hell is there to be proud of in taking a life when it wasn't necessary?

It is a similar principal as the hunt to me, or the hare coursers even, where the - "my dog is faster than yours", or "I've shot 10 today", etc, and I know they boast afterwards about how many birds/rabbits/hare/deer or whatever else they have killed.

It is not just the unecessary killing, it is the MOTIVE that upsets me.
But what about fishermen? Line caught trout, salmon and tuna, a sport right, some people dislike that because it's a sport? They preferred farmed trout, farmed salmon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
But what about fishermen? Line caught trout, salmon and tuna, a sport right, some people dislike that because it's a sport? They preferred farmed trout, farmed salmon.

It comes from prehistoric man and his hunter instinct.
That's what they had to do to stay alive. You don't.

A lot of men still have remnants of this hunting instinct, I don't care whether it be with a shotgun, a fast lurcher, a nasty barbed hook, or a pack of dogs doing the job for them.
I am convinced it is some kind of need for men still to prove their manliness by hunting and catching or killing something.

Women are mostly more nuturing, the exact opposite.
If they heard a terrified animal screaming in pain and/or fear as it was being pursued and eventually ripped apart they would no doubt find it extremely distressing. The hunters only think "Job done."

We will never agree on this my sweet, because my instincts are not the same as yours, and I can't change that any more than you can.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

12-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Yet the anti-everything will condemn my rights to hook fish on a line, shoot a stag, or a grouse, pheasant, rabbit etc.
I do not condemn people who eat farmed chicken, farmed trout, beef and their acceptance of the methods used to get the food to their table

Warning the attached may upset some.........

Various methods are used to render an animal unconscious during animal slaughter.

Electrical (stunning or slaughtering with electric current known as electronarcosis)
This method is used for swine, sheep, calves, cattle, and goats. The current is applied either across the brain or the heart to render the animal unconscious before being killed. In industrial slaughterhouses, chickens are killed prior to scalding by being passed through an electrified water-bath while shackled.[5]
Gaseous (Carbon dioxide)
This method can be used for sheep, calves and swine. The animal is asphyxiated by the use of CO2 gas before being killed. In several countries, CO2 stunning is mainly used on pigs. A number of pigs enter a chamber which is then sealed and filled with 80% to 90% CO2 in air. The pigs lose consciousness within 13 to 30 seconds. Research has produced conflicting results with some showing pigs tolerate CO2 stunning and others showing they do not.[6][7][8] Nitrogen has been used to induce unconsciousness, often in conjunction with CO2. Domestic turkeys are averse to high concentrations of CO2 (72% CO2 in air) but not low concentrations (a mixture of 30% CO2 and 60% argon in air with 3% residual oxygen).[9]

Mechanical (Captive bolt pistol)
This method can be used for sheep, swine, goats, calves, cattle, horses, mules, and other equines. A captive bolt pistol is applied to the head of the animal to quickly render them unconscious before being killed. There are three types of captive bolt pistols, penetrating, non-penetrating and free bolt. The use of penetrating captive bolts has, largely, been discontinued in commercial situations to minimize the risk of transmission of disease when parts of the brain enter the bloodstream.
Mechanical (gunshot/free bullet)
This method can be used for cattle, calves, sheep, swine, goats, horses, mules, and other equines. A conventional firearm is used to fire a bullet into the brain of the animal to render the animal quickly unconscious (and presumably dead). A second method may be used (e.g. drug administration) to ensure the animal is dead.
Killing
Exsanguination
The animal either has its throat cut or has a chest stick inserted cutting close to the heart. In both these methods, main veins and/or arteries are cut and allowed to bleed.[10][11]
People who live in glass houses etc...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-08-2017, 04:02 PM

You are still missing my point though.

I am not on about the methods used, I am on about the motive.

The slaughter men are paid to kill, it is their job
Not so for you.

The slaughter men's motive is their wages and income.
Not so for you.

The guns do it purely for what they call 'Sport.' True or not?

Definition of 'Sport' -

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

Again it comes back to the motive. How can you view shooting creatures "entertainment."?

It also says "competes against another" - well what does the bird to to compete against you?
Does it turn round and fire at you?
Does it force you to run so it can shoot you?
Does it get you in a corner and terrify you?

I could make allowances if you had no food, no money, were starving, and needed a couple for the pot.
But that is not the case.

It is the fun and pleasure that worries me.

Now I have said how I feel, and you are no doubt calling me everything under the sun , but if you sat here and talked to me all night, you will not budge me on this.

You will be no doubt be pleased to hear I am leaving you now, and shall try hard not to say another word.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

12-08-2017, 04:04 PM

On the other side of the coin....

http://www.moorlandassociation.org/grouse-2/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Do you eat what you kill Rehab?
We have chaps around here that shoot rabbits and pheasants, they take them home and eat them. I get given the pretty feathers from the pheasants for my craft work, I wouldn't use them if they were just killing them for fun.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
On the other side of the coin....

http://www.moorlandassociation.org/grouse-2/

Bums to all that!

Oops, I said I wasn't going to say any more.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top