Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Re: Today is the day.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Do you eat what you kill Rehab?
We have chaps around here that shoot rabbits and pheasants, they take them home and eat them. I get given the pretty feathers from the pheasants for my craft work, I wouldn't use them if they were just killing them for fun.
Rabbits yes, game birds not for a long time and I have never shot a stag, so I guess that's a yes, I only shoot targets for fun.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Bums to all that!

Oops, I said I wasn't going to say any more.
Grouse have been one of the most sought-after game birds for over a century and command a high price from sportsmen all over the world. Delicious to eat, all our grouse enter an eager food chain and only where there are surplus populations are they shot – with the highest levels of care and responsibility. This is arguably the pinnacle of international game shooting.

In many upland areas, driven grouse shooting provides the only significant income for struggling rural economies. Without hefty subsidies from taxpayers, it pays for crucial conservation and maintains employment for significant numbers of people, particularly during the shooting season.

This essential employment supports fragile communities and helps schools, shops and pubs survive. Shooting parties benefit the hotel trade and a whole range of local businesses, from garages to gun shops and clothing manufacturers to food suppliers. Many would struggle in the depressed rural upland economy without this vital income.

Consequences of losing grouse shooting
In the 1990s, in the Berwyn Special Protection Area in North Wales, driven grouse shooting and habitat management stopped leading to a serious fall in bird species.

Research studies were carried out on upland bird numbers and distribution between 1983 and 2012, results revealed stark findings.

The complete loss of lapwing and serious and rapid declines of many other red listed birds were highlighted. Hen harriers dropped by 48 percent, golden plover by 90 percent, curlew by 79 percent, ring ouzel and black grouse by 78 percent and red grouse by 54 percent.

The Berwyn report demonstrates with great clarity the consequences of losing grouse shooting as a land management tool. The report shows the hugely important work of MA members in their care for 860,000 acres of heather moorland in England and Wales. Without this work, the precious land would revert to scrub and forest and the heather moors lost forever, along with the loss of many red listed birds.

Anyway I am off to eat some chicken which has spent its whole life in a cage barely bigger than itself and then killed prior to scalding by being passed through an electrified water-bath while shackled.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Rabbits yes, game birds not for a long time and I have never shot a stag, so I guess that's a yes, I only shoot targets for fun.

I knew it . . I knew it. . what did I tell ya . .

If I find out you have ever shot a magnificent stag young man, I shall come and find you - and shoot you!

Oops, there I go again . . . can't keep quiet if you paid me. . . .

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

12-08-2017, 05:46 PM

That's not very sporting Mups
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 06:34 PM

That's not very sporting Mups

Mmmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmm . . .

Aha, I've got the masking tape off me gob now.

Not very sporting?

Huh!
It'd be every bit as sporting as you chasing a beautiful stag!
So there!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:17 PM

Rehab makes a convincing argument. I agree it's better than factory farms. But the fact is that nobody needs to shoot these animals. We have plenty of meat in the shops. If we hunted all our meat for food then it might be ok. Hunting for survival is ok. But hunting for fun is a no no. Maybe our society has it wrong and we should only be allowed to eat meat that's been hunted. To be fair animals that can't be hunted are only used for dairy. Oh and venison is banned (just because)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Rehab makes a convincing argument. I agree it's better than factory farms. But the fact is that nobody needs to shoot these animals. We have plenty of meat in the shops. If we hunted all our meat for food then it might be ok. Hunting for survival is ok. But hunting for fun is a no no. Maybe our society has it wrong and we should only be allowed to eat meat that's been hunted. To be fair animals that can't be hunted are only used for dairy. Oh and venison is banned (just because)

Exactly how I feel too, Annie.

For 'fun' and 'entertainment' it is totally wrong.

The only other reason I find acceptable is if you are in danger (not many Grouse would threaten you ), or if it is a fox or something killing your poultry.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

13-08-2017, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But without grouse shooters there would be NO red grouse..Will the tax payer manage the moorlands if you Ban grouse shooting? Please take a minute to read this report

http://www.moorlandassociation.org/grouse-2/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-08-2017, 12:06 AM

But without grouse shooters there would be NO red grouse..Will the tax payer manage the moorlands if you Ban grouse shooting? Please take a minute to read this report

http://www.moorlandassociation.org/grouse-2/

Even if that is your excuse for shooting grouse, how do you explain everything else you kill?

If you ever shoot a stag or a duck, I shall disown you!

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

13-08-2017, 12:21 AM

Like I said, I have never shot deer, far to expensive, and I am too old to be crawling around Scotland in the rain. I ain't shot a duck either...but I have shot lots of rabbits, even the the ones from Watership Down...Shot a good few Grouse and pheasant, it all went on the table, but you get a good price early in the season from restaurants who want to be the first to put it on the menu.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top