Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 05:16 AM

Re: Cute Little Kittens: A Story of Near Death and Destruction

I will pass along all the advice I can get, Uncle Joe - you sound like you bear the scars of experience.

I just want a front row seat and some popcorn.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I will pass along all the advice I can get, Uncle Joe - you sound like you bear the scars of experience.

I just want a front row seat and some popcorn.

That I do darlin', that I do. Am a 'cat' person since a very early age and have had a number of pet cats, but the biggest was a Tiger cub I had with my Grand-parents in India, which is why I said, in a previous thread the cat had claws as long as my fingers.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Have you written of your adventures in India, Uncle Joe? It sounds like you could give Rudyard Kipling a run for his money.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Have you written of your adventures in India, Uncle Joe? It sounds like you could give Rudyard Kipling a run for his money.

My Grandad was an amateur photographer and had album after album of photos, but when he died, my Grandmother destroyed them all. However, he showed me the army ants nests, and took me to watch as one colony went to war against another. He sat on the steps of the bungalow (it was up on stilts), placed a sugar cube on the ground and patiently sat there till the ants found it and moved it back to their nest.

The bungalow had no ceilings, we looked straight up into the rafters where the snakes hid from the monsoon rain. From time to time the snakes (King Cobras) moving between rafters would miss and drop on the floor beside you. We had a mongoose (and the tiger cub) who would attack, kill and eat them.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:12 AM

UJ, one of my favourite stories when a child was Kipling's "Rikki Tikki Tavi" about a brave mongoose. I absolutely loved it (and the name), my grandmother would read it to me often.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

18-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
UJ, one of my favourite stories when a child was Kipling's "Rikki Tikki Tavi" about a brave mongoose. I absolutely loved it (and the name), my grandmother would read it to me often.

Good little animals though they are (they certainly helped to keep the snakes away) but they're also very smelly!!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-08-2017, 05:38 AM

UJ, your early years sound like heaven for a young boy - plenty of adventure, lots of animals, the whole of nature, and hopefully some undsupervised exploration.

Ceecee, I had several mongoose living under my house in Hawai'i and I could hear them thudding around at night. It was a quite a place - prewar and on one of the lochs of Pearl Harbor - peacocks and moongoose in the front yard, hammerhead sharks, eels, and giant puffer fish in the water out back. As UJ mentioned, the mongoose were excellent at keeping the smaller animals (rats in the banana trees) controlled.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

19-08-2017, 09:07 AM

UJ, your early years sound like heaven for a young boy - plenty of adventure, lots of animals, the whole of nature, and hopefully some undsupervised exploration.

Ceecee, I had several mongoose living under my house in Hawai'i and I could hear them thudding around at night. It was a quite a place - prewar and on one of the lochs of Pearl Harbor - peacocks and moongoose in the front yard, hammerhead sharks, eels, and giant puffer fish in the water out back. As UJ mentioned, the mongoose were excellent at keeping the smaller animals (rats in the banana trees) controlled.

No Chris darlin' - where we were in India (Kerala) was no place to go wandering off unsupervised. We were in a small village on the edge of the jungle. Apart from King Cobras and army ants there were a whole host of other 'nasties' ready to attack, kill and possibly eat a 4 yr old.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top