Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Re: Willow Warbler?

Hard to tell apart i your photo Tiff as they are so variable having seen both species being ringed you cant always tell by leg colour etc. However song is diagnostic but at this time of year if you see them in a bush Chiffchaff constantly bobs its tail downward while searching for food WW less so. My gut feeling thinks this is WW.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 03:37 PM

Thanks, Nom. That's what I thought on first seeing it, but then I doubted my own identification.
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

29-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Willow warblers and chiffchaffs can be very hard to tell apart by sight alone (their songs are very different though). In my experience willow warblers tend to be slightly greener and yellower than chiffchaffs, which makes me think that this one is a willow warbler. There is a small wood close to where I live where both species can be seen and heard in the spring and early summer. They will be on the move now, getting ready to fly south for the winter.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by WoollyBack ->
Willow warblers and chiffchaffs can be very hard to tell apart by sight alone (their songs are very different though). In my experience willow warblers tend to be slightly greener and yellower than chiffchaffs, which makes me think that this one is a willow warbler. There is a small wood close to where I live where both species can be seen and heard in the spring and early summer. They will be on the move now, getting ready to fly south for the winter.
Long way for these tiny birds to go.
Welcome to the forum, are you from The Wirral?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by WoollyBack ->
Thanks Woollyback, I thought Willow as on the ground it did look more yellow than a Chiffchaff.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Tiffany, this may have been a fledgling. Many young ones spend quite a bit of time on the ground and appear to be dazed or injured especially when they first leave the nest. While it might have been tired, it was probably just fine. You did the right thing to move it out of harm's way and to otherwise let it go on its way.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

30-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Tiffany, this may have been a fledgling. Many young ones spend quite a bit of time on the ground and appear to be dazed or injured especially when they first leave the nest. While it might have been tired, it was probably just fine. You did the right thing to move it out of harm's way and to otherwise let it go on its way.
Thanks Surfermom. I couldn't have left it on the path. It looked like an adult though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top