Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Re: People reject May as Prime Minister

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No I am not saying that because I don't know the ins and outs of the financial world situation at that time
Gordon Brown must have had some reason that he thought was right .
Possibly the collapse of the world banking system I don't know but I doubt he set out to ruin the country .
Maybe we will never know !

" Goldman Sachs, which is not understood to have been significantly short on gold itself, is rumoured to have approached the Treasury to explain the situation through its then head of commodities Gavyn Davies, later chairman of the BBC and married to Sue Nye who ran Brown’s private office."
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We could have just bailed out the retail side of banking, the bit where our wages and savings go.

To my mind that would have a sensible thing to do.

Instead we bailed the lot out, the biggest transfer of public money to the private sector ever.

Since none of the banks had separated their investment arm from the retail arm, there was no way to do that and when the banks ran into trouble, it was too late to do so then.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since none of the banks had separated their investment arm from the retail arm, there was no way to do that and when the banks ran into trouble, it was too late to do so then.
Hi

We had a bank deposit guarantee scheme in 2008, £50k for single accounts, £100k for joint.

They could have stuck to that.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Merchant Banks and High Street Banks serve a different purpose.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Merchant Banks and High Street Banks serve a different purpose.

Tell me something I don't already know!!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We had a bank deposit guarantee scheme in 2008, £50k for single accounts, £100k for joint.

They could have stuck to that.
Thing is that when people put their money into a bank they like to think it is safe .

Now it's £85k

Over that it's lost so if you have over that ( i.e. You have proceeds form a house sale and you have not yet bought another ) be very careful .
People are now obliged to open more than one bank account which is tedious and you have to make sure they are not all the same bank acting under different names .
I.e. Lloyds owns Halifax
( but in this case it's safe as Halifax still runs under its own licence so your money will be guaranteed up to £85 k even if you have also money in Lloyds )
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Who cares what you think?
Well people deffo don't care what you think.......

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top