Join for free
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Kingfisher

I volunteer one day each week as a Lock Keeper on the Grand Union Canal and I love the various glimpses of the natural world I get from my work. Last week, for the first time ever, I was fortunate enough to see a Kingfisher at work on the canal'

This isn't my photo, I had a windlass in my hand rather than a camera, but it does capture what I saw. Wonderful bird!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Re: Kingfisher

That must have been a wonderful sight for you Mick, I envy you
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:46 AM

ive only ever seen one ,i was walking along the dry part of Grantham Canal and it flew by right low following the line of the canal.A nice sight.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:51 AM

We see a Kingfisher regularly. There is a small brook alongside the playing field where we walk our dogs (my son and I) and we frequently see the kingfisher flying along. One gets a quick glimpse of the wonderful irridescent blue as it flashes past. This has been a regular occurence for all the years we have lived in this area. Such a thrill everytime we see it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Yes I have Kingfishers nesting near me, they fly up and down a stream and along to the river, the blue of their feathers when they fly is so bright but you only catch glimpses they are gone in seconds.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:50 AM

I see them often usually as flying streaks always a pleasure.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Used to watch a pair around their nest hole...I guess the nest was a bit iffy with droppings from the young...
As they left they would dunk in the river every few feet to clean their feathers...Must have been a bit yukky in there.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top