Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Re: Cyclist says it was victims fault

I like to give as much space as humanly possible you can't predict what some cyclists will do.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:23 AM

It's sometimes hard not to suddenly divert from a path when noticing a particularly deep pothole or drain hole. They can be deep enough to make a cyclist fall off. Many's the time these have cropped up when a car is approaching from behind and it's a job to handle them and attempt to keep a straight line.

Take note of the mentioned handlebar mirror. Fitting one of these is perhaps the best bit of safety advice I can give.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:33 AM

I know it's not always cyclists fault mart but that doesn't keep them alive, my aim is to get where I'm going without killing anyone. So biggest gap between me and cyclist is safest way.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Whatever the rights and wrongs of cyclists in general, this particular very young man comes across as a nasty piece of shit.
His arrogance is breathtaking, I hope it's a disguise for real fear and shame.
I totally agree.
I also still stand by my previous post - the vast majority of cyclists are arrogant planks, who think the laws don't apply to them and appear almost desperate for a motorist to make a mistake so they can have a self righteous rant.

And yes, they absolutely should be insured. I had one ride into the side of my car years ago in Islington as he wasn't looking where he was going. £500 of damage and no-one I could claim from - absolutely wrong.

Sorry, but my opinion of (the majority) of cyclists will not change - I despise them. I do a lot of driving and see their antics daily.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Hope he gets a long sentence, he deserves it .
The arrogance of him.

His defence he just/will be found not guilty.

She was on her mobile when she stepped out on to the road.

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2017/08/17...s-death-accus/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I do a lot of driving and quite frankly despair of cyclists - I find them to be largely pedantic self righteous planks, who almost want a pedestrian or motorist to make a mistake so they can have a condescending rant.

They'd be wise not to do it with me though, they'd likely get a slap.......
There have been cyclists for two centuries or more. It is only recently that we have begun to see this arrogant attitude, and I'm afraid I don't understand why the sudden change.

This latest incident will, I sincerely hope, bring about some new and badly needed rules regarding cyclists. Compulsory insurance and identification plates must surely now be seen as essential.

As for this individual, his arrogance will hopefully lead to severe penalties for him in court. Having said that, I don't think we actually do severe penalties any more.

We shall see.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mickb ->
i'm both a cyclist and a car driver. To me, they are both the same and need to obey road traffic regulations equally. I occasionally drive in central london and i have to say the behaviour of london cyclists is appalling. They view red lights as optional, think nothing of riding down the left hand side of a huge lorry, then scream and shout when the lorry turns left (even when it was clearly signalling when they undertook it). They are rude and boorish with a sense of entitlement which even makes old etonians seem self-effacing. I am constantly amazed that even more cyclists are not killed /maimed on the roads. Car drivers are not perfect by a long long way, but my fellow cyclists often fill me with shame.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-08-2017, 08:54 PM

I believe some of the arrogance has come from thinking they are saving the planet, whereas us car drivers are killing it. They are super heroes in their own heads.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:05 PM

He will get a short sentence would a long one in this case do any good?
Perhaps the law will change and cyclists will become more vigilante for the safety of pedestrians in the future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He will get a short sentence but maybe it will change things for him and other cyclists in the future .
Should be manslaughter.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top