Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Re: Train Fares Increase

Best thing to do is buy a Bicycle, OK, all the folks you knew will hate you, with a passion, but, it will save you money, help you health issues, and be kinder to the environment.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Then you are fortunate Realspeed, many others rely on trains due to being less mobile
The prerequisite for travelling on the trains my daughter uses is the ability to stand up, shoulder to shoulder for an hour or so.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Best thing to do is buy a Bicycle, OK, all the folks you knew will hate you, with a passion, but, it will save you money, help you health issues, and be kinder to the environment.

I have a bike and can manage about an hour on the uncomfortable thing .
Going to get one of those gel saddle covers today .
However you can't leave the thing anywhere for more than 20 seconds without copious chains as b*****ds will nick it . It needs optimal good weather and one always arrives looking like you have been through a hedge backwards anyway .
Moreover it's dangerous yesterday a farm boy passed me at speed on a huge german tractor pulling a trailer about the size of a house loaded with bales behind him .
The slipstream almost made me fall off .
The roads even quiet country lanes are no place for the faint hearted on a bike .
I love to travel by train it used to be the civilised way to travel.
How come on the continent and in other countries trains are comfortable and affordable ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Just jump the pavement, and be dammed, I find, if you greet pedestrians in a friendly fashion, don't alienate yourself with silly bespoke clothing, and keep your speed down, folks can co-exist, regardless of the method of propulsion.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:39 AM

I do use the pavement but I live in the country and there aren't pavements on most the roads.
Wouldn't be seen dead wearing Lyra people might think I am a real cyclist !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Some folks (like me) just hate waiting about, bus stops, stations etc etc, if you live in a city, and want to travel say 4 miles or so to the centre, you can, walk to the bus stop (6 mins), wait for the bus (5 mins), get on the stop start vehicle, make the 20 min journey, or, you could get your bike out, travel at a leisurely double walking pace speed (8mph), and arrive in the same half hour, No Sweat!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-08-2017, 08:03 AM

Bikes are great for practicable town living I saw someone on a big trike in a town . Much easier to load up with shopping !
When I was young I used a little seat on the back for my little son .
And even 40 years back got shouted at by a grumpy pedestrian to get on the road !
But today I would say taking your child to school by bike if you are not too far away would help reduce those school jams and parking problems outside of school.
My dad used to take us miles just sat on the crossbar of his bike (he tied a little cushion on it .)
In the town where my son lives the cycle tracks and pavements are combined and I have to say ( as someone who both walks and uses a bike ) the pesestrians do come off worse thanks to speed cyclists in all their Lyra covered horror coming up so quickly and quietly behind them .What wrong with bells for goodness sake ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-08-2017, 08:11 AM

I had one of those seats for my Son, went miles with him pillion.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Like the Chuckle Brothers on tour.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Muddy;1213083]I have a bike and can manage about an hour on the uncomfortable thing .
Going to get one of those gel saddle covers today .
However you can't leave the thing anywhere for more than 20 seconds without copious chains as b*****ds will nick it . It needs optimal good weather and one always arrives looking like you have been through a hedge backwards anyway .
Moreover it's dangerous yesterday a farm boy passed me at speed on a huge german tractor pulling a trailer about the size of a house loaded with bales behind him .
The slipstream almost made me fall off .
The roads even quiet country lanes are no place for the faint hearted on a bike .
I love to travel by train it used to be the civilised way to travel.
How come on the continent and in other countries trains are comfortable and affordable ?[/QUOTE]

Because that evil witch Thatcher (phth, phth, phth) and then Major stole yet another 'nationalised' industry from us, privatised it and flogged it off very cheaply to their mates!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top