Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Re: Train Fares Increase

I went and bought a bike helmet today and a new ladies saddle in the hope I can bike with more safety and comfort.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
good job should go up double that. Why? well it would force people to leave jobs in London and move well away. Firms would have to follow to get staff.

This in turn would increase house values say where I live a lot more. See forward thinking
At the moment mine over the last 3 years has only risen a miserly £30,000 year upon year. if they moved out it could rise by 3 times that amount
Good point. This country is far too London-centric. There has been some movement of businesses and national centres to the provinces, but London still dominates.

Anyone who wants to live and work in London pays the price of having to sell their soul and put themselves in debt for life in order to be able to buy a home there.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:26 PM

I'm afraid that it is becoming difficult to travel any distance in this country. Rail fares going up has been mentioned, of course. Roads are becoming increasingly congested and additional roads are not being provided to account for this. Air travel is also becoming more difficult and time consuming, what with all the increased security measures and outrageous parking charges at airports.

The eventual outcome must be people working where they live whether they like it or not, so either employers must move to find the workforce or vice versa.

Add the 'eco brigade' into the equation, and we shall have no option other than to travel by horse and cart. Actually, quite and attractive proposition, provided we are not in too much of a rush.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:36 PM

Why can't some travel expenses be claimed against tax by all workers who use the Train Service, so increasing their vast profits of the operators

This travel expense takes up a large chunk of their salary.

After all all Businesses and the Self Employed can claim travel expenses and part Car allowance as well.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

I went and bought a bike helmet today and a new ladies saddle in the hope I can bike with more safety and comfort.
I've dug out my old Bike Clips, nowadays they just protect my trouser bottoms.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 07:39 AM

I don't think bikes would help with the train situation, even for those who can cycle. There'd only be a few for whom it'd make a real difference.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 07:51 AM

It depends on the journey, a lot of folks drive from their country pile, to a station, on the fringe of a conurbation, park the car and jump on a train (and rightly so). It would be a start, if the same parking situation was offered to folks with bikes in their cars.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I've dug out my old Bike Clips, nowadays they just protect my trouser bottoms.
I know I'm going to regret this but ........what else are they supposed to protect?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Ahhhh - Muddy zooming across the sky on her broom stick with a new saddle and wearing her new helmet
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-08-2017, 11:45 AM

I know I'm going to regret this but ........what else are they supposed to protect?
The environment, after six pints of Old Peculiar, and a rough Ruby Murray.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top